Multiple project windows

ChrisA

Hi

Just getting my feet wet with the new 2016 VW and immediatly ran into a time sucking issue. I use two monitors and I often will open one project and place it on one screen while having another on the other screen. Now with 2016 when I open more than one project I only get one window. I can toggle from one project to another but that is a pain in the "A". I have looked for a new setting in preference but I am not seeing where this is an option to be turned on or off.

help please

chris

Not sure how this works with two monitors, but isn't this the palette docking feature at work?

Try in the main menu > Windows>Palette Options and uncheck the option for Palettes can dock to drawing window.

-B

Benson is exactly right: this is how the new palette docking feature works on Mac OS X.

Vw2016 Help :: Docking Palettes

Palette docking on Mac is only enabled when Single Window mode is active.

I use Landmark on a Mac and have several dual-monitor users in my office. When I try to turn off palette docking, a box pops up saying "This menu command is not authorized for use in this product. This menu command can only be used in one of the following products: Architect, Spotlight, Designer, Renderworks. For more information, contact your Vectorworks dealer." I've also noticed that the palette docking options are not available to add to my custom workspace. Are these options that I am going to have when a service pack comes out, or am I headed back to VW2015?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I use Landmark on a Mac and have several dual-monitor users in my office. When I try to turn off palette docking, a box pops up saying "This menu command is not authorized for use in this product. This menu command can only be used in one of the following products: Architect, Spotlight, Designer, Renderworks. For more information, contact your Vectorworks dealer." I've also noticed that the palette docking options are not available to add to my custom workspace. Are these options that I am going to have when a service pack comes out, or am I headed back to VW2015?

It will be fixed in a service pack. Some of the licenses (I think Fund only, Land only and Spot only) have some menu commands that are convinced they dont have access. In some of these cases it can be fixed by re-adding them to the workspace, but if your editor doesnt even show them then itll be the SP that fixes it.

It is yes, but some user's licenses are not showing that menu option by default. Everyone, including Fundamentals is intended to have Palette Docking. If this issue happens for you it can be corrected, and everyone will have it corrected for them automatically once it is patched.

• 11 months later...

Hello all.

Reading this thread, new to forum, so please excuse me if this is NOT the correct place to post. If not, please point me in the right direction.

I have been using VWX Spotlight 2016 with SP4 (Build 315580) on a MacBook Pro and just shifted / added to MacPro Desktop running OS X 10.11.6

Looking to be able to have multiple project windows open simultaneously, which I'm unable to do currently.

Set up the workspace to use 2 monitors: tool palettes docked to project window, so I assume that palette docking is enabled (and that single Application Mode or single window mode as mentioned by rDesign above) is / are active.

I cannot find this option:  Window > Palette Options > Palettes can dock to document window in the drop down menu.

Cannot find a VWX preference in the Sessions tab or elsewhere for turning on or off Palette Docking.

Could someone please help me finding access to this / these palette options and also access to the Single Application or Single Window mode(s).

Many thanks.

Go to Tools > Workspaces > Edit the Current Workspace, under the Menus tab, find "Palette Docking Options" on the elft under All Menus and place it somewhere in your workspace, I recommend under "Window"

This will let you toggle this setting as expected. It sometimes did not get migrated into existing workspaces that came from older versions. This will be completely fixed in 2017.

Conclusion from an Apple perspective.

1. You can open more than one file in VW
(you just can't see it in OS X when you activated palette docking)

2. You can (again) switch between files by CMD + key right from left SHIFT
(the one that temporary deactivates snapping = "<" on a german keyboard, (" ' " on a US keyboard ?))
or
by Menu > Window > botom of dropdown = file list

3. You can deactivate palette docking to arrange files overlapping like in pre VW 2016 versions before

4. VW 2017 will show Tabs on top of the drawing window to switch between files.

Edited by zoomer