Lighting Instrument Tool

Did this change in '16?

No Active Symbol

Double Click a lighting symbol.

Browser shows that symbol as active.

Instrument tool becomes active.

Click to place and now a little window pops-up and we have to choose the symbol again? Seems redundant.

Alternatively, making a symbol active by double clicking then going to "Replace with active symbol" in OIP results in an error and a grammatical irregularity.

"Please. activate a symbol in the resource browser before using this button."

I have to place a lighting symbol into a drawing to actually make it all the way 100% active. Kind of annoying when all I want to do is change the fixture type.

While I am on the subject of fixture manipulation...

Why can't I apply lit fog to multiple instruments at the same time?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Did this change in '16?

No Active Symbol

Double Click a lighting symbol.

Browser shows that symbol as active.

Instrument tool becomes active.

Click to place and now a little window pops-up and we have to choose the symbol again? Seems redundant.

Alternatively, making a symbol active by double clicking then going to "Replace with active symbol" in OIP results in an error and a grammatical irregularity.

"Please. activate a symbol in the resource browser before using this button."

I have to place a lighting symbol into a drawing to actually make it all the way 100% active. Kind of annoying when all I want to do is change the fixture type.

Nothing you're doing wrong and it wasn't intended, this was a bug. It should be fixed in an upcoming service pack.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I note there's been no response to this question:

"Why can't I apply lit fog to multiple instruments at the same time?"

And there are other issues around this very topic: Changing intensities, changing beam characteristics (Smooth Falloff | Realistic Falloff).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

And there are other issues around this very topic: Changing intensities, changing beam characteristics (Smooth Falloff | Realistic Falloff).

Were these wishlisted already?

• 1 month later...

It is a bit frustrating to not be able to apply lit fog effects to multiple fixtures simultaneously but I think that has always been the case. I am the guy banging the drum looking for better control over the lights themselves (smooth falloff / realistic falloff...both equally disappointing). Lighting effects were far more realistic in 2010 though the quality of the fog itself is better.

• 4 weeks later...

SP2 seemed to fix many of our instrument insertion issues, as a weird anomaly only one of our computers is still acting the way it had before SP2. This is extremely odd as its a fresh install and treated exactly the same way as the others, all of us have had it go back to the way were used to working and this one continues to insert strange things in an odd fashion. Anyone else still seeing lighting insertion problems since SP2?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...