Drawing Walls?

MaxStudio

I often create one Wall and get it just the way it needs to be (Class(es), textures, etc.) then Duplicate it to create more. With the dupes, you can drag the new one until it touches a given point (perhaps another wall), then Move it a certain distance. I also sometime use temporary lines (and other geometry) set precisely where I want, and then drag/snap walls to the line(s). Hope that helps.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hover over the point at which you want to draw another wall 5' from, press G. This will create a temporary datum point, then you can enter 5' in deltaX or deltaY to get your offset.

Use the wall tool mode to control whether you're drawing the left, right, center or custom offset to control from what point to what point.

If its an angled wall, then use the L (length) field instead, in rotated plan it normally still allows snapping extension lines from the datum point.

Guest Wes Gardner

I draw with "Offset Duplications" turned OFF. (That's located in Vectorworks Preferences) In your scenario, let's say you're using an interior wall that's 4 1/2" thick and you want to duplicate and move it 5' from the original - Hit Command D, then Command M, then type in your 5' 4 1/2", hit OK. This will give an "in-to-in" clear distance of 5'-0"

Edited by Wes Gardner

If you select the wall tool then hold the curser over where you want as reference and hit "G" then tab in to say to y and then type in the offset you want and hit enter you get an new reference location and simply draw you wall as you are still in the wall tool mode.

Just keep in mind which side of the wall you are going to draw so if you want 2m then you will get 2m between.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell