Bug Submission

zoomer

Question

If you submit a Bug Report you will receive a message only that

thanks for submitting and that normally no further communication is needed.

Unfortunately there isn't any hint which or what Bug you submitted.

So for me, I meanwhile forgot which Bug I already submitted and which not.

So at least I would like my bug submission text I wrote attached to the

confirmation eMail

Used from other Bug Submission Systems I am used to get :

A Drop Down about the Type of Bug from :

- unexpected Exit/Hang

- Data Loss

- Incorrect Functionality

- Performance

- UI/Usability

- General

- Enhancement Request

- Feature Request

A Drop Down about the Importance/Priority/Severity of Bug from :

- Trivial

- Annoying

- Important

- Crucial

- Showstopper

A Summary/Titel Field

A Description Field

A Steps to Reproduce Field

When I submitted a bug I can look at any time into my Account to see

my submission(s) and their Progress or if the Bug was simply denied.

I immediately get a Bug Tracking Number so that I can Name my

Demo File accordingly and check the next SP's "What's New Section"

if it has been fixed now.

9 answers to this question

+++++1 to all of those.

Submitting on the VSS bug submission section is the worst, as you don't get any recognition of what you submitted until Tech Support replies to your request. All you get is a bug tracking number, which I guess you are expected to write down.

It would also be helpful if the VSS bug section listed in tabular form all of the bugs that you have personally submitted over the years, and what is their status.

I wish the Bug Submit webpage would go away completely. Personally I will never use it again. It represents the old face of NV - closed and uncommunicative.

I will always submit any bugs I find though these forums, to tech@vectorworks.net (Attn: Jim) or through my distributor, in that order. These are much better ways to confirm bugs are real bugs and to make sure there's enough documentation to support them (i.e.. other users experiences, is it Mac or Windows specific, is there a workaround etc.). I much prefer and champion the new public face and online culture Jim and the other moderators here are developing. An open discussion about bugs benefits everyone. This movement forward has made this forum a fantastic place to hang out.

(Sorry Jim, I know this is potentially more work for you. I'll refile the wish for the Jim clones :-) )

Kevin

+1 Kevin

I also prefer the way to submit Bugs with the help of Jim.

I just tried it one time the official way as I thought that may get some kind

of priority. Seems not, as long as you don't make a lot of noise.

As these submission were what I thought to be Bugs without doubt

and really deal brakers for me. But nothing special that I wouldn't had postet

here before, at least one time.

So I too will go the submission way via Jim again in the future.

Things I that I think are unrealistic to ever get in a reasonable time frame

I now throw directly into the deep ocean of the Whish List.

So I did my job and no one can blame me for not having said.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I beg you all to please do BOTH, actually.

So far I have caught the large majority of bugs that have come across these forums in recent years, but I still miss some. Until such time as staff can be dedicated to scouring this forum and ensuring that all bugs are caught and submitted, I would not want the forums treated as the primary means of bug submission.

I don't mind the extra work, I really don't, but I just do not have the tools needed to ensure that nothing slips into the void. It is much better that you simply make a post about a certain bug you feel you have found, then just copy/paste that text into the body of your bug submission and send that as well.

All of the engineers I have spoken with agree: Better to have something that ISN'T a bug submitted 5 times than for something that IS a bug to not be submitted once.

I DO want to keep promoting an open development, workflow-optimizing and resolution-finding community, of that you can be sure, but for now there isn't the needed reliability in this emerging system to ensure that all bugs get caught and fixed ASAP. We still need to lean heavily on the old system as well.

+++++1 to all of those.

It would also be helpful if the VSS bug section listed in tabular form all of the bugs that you have personally submitted over the years, and what is their status.

+++1

It would be really helpful to see if a submitted bug would show up in your VSS area with its status and also whether it is a confirmed bug, unconfirmed but possibly a bug or actually a feature/"feature" and as such working as (perhaps poorly) designed.