Site model Bug?

VincentCuclair

1) Did the Site Model have the red-and-white striped border indicating that it needed updating? Unless you were doing something incorrectly, I thought that using any site modifier object (like the stake object) will require updating the site model.

2) Stake Object: which mode was selected when you inserted the new stake object?

• Include as site model data
  • Set elev to site model
  • Use as 2D graphic only
  • Site modifier object

And if you were using the stake object as a site modifier, did you specify whether it affects the existing or proposed site model?

Sheesh all these questions :grin:

Well the whole process was as follows,

1. I created a whole bunch of stake objects in the correct place and height and generated a Site model using them.

2. I right click on the model and choose Edit Site Model Source Data

3. I then added a new (moved an existing) stake object exited the mode and updated the site model and......nothing!

Is this a strange or incorrect workflow?

Edited by Vincent C

OK sorry just found the solution......I don't know if I like it though.....

The model does actually adjust to the new/edited stack objects, however I had placed them outside the Site Model Crop region and instead of automatically adjusting the crop region to the new stakes I need to manually adjust the crop....?! Strange......

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am not sure that having the crop reshape automatically is a good idea for a default behavior, though it may make sense if the crop was automatically generated in the first place and not customized. But certainly a pop up alerting the user that they have site model data outside the crop would be in order. Submitting this regardless, thats not ideal behavior in any case.

I am not sure that having the crop reshape automatically is a good idea for a default behavior, though it may make sense if the crop was automatically generated in the first place and not customized. But certainly a pop up alerting the user that they have site model data outside the crop would be in order. Submitting this regardless, thats not ideal behavior in any case.

Yeah - I agree with JimW that having the site boundary automatically generated would not be a good thing. You'd probably end up with a potato- or 19-pointed star-shaped polygon.

What about tagging site modifiers that lie outside the boundary with the yellow 'caution' symbol that we currently get with other site modifier errors?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, having a caution icon show up for stake objects etc. would be helpful as long as it identifies the location of the individual "problem" objects.

Just a notification that a site modifier is outside the site model crop is not useful if you have a large site with lots of possible locations where it could be.