What's the best way to create an image from a render?

simbob

What's the best way to create an image for presentation purposes once your render has completed?

I tried exporting as jpeg but it is such a long winded process as it has to re-render several times over. In the past i've just done a screen shot and used that.

I wondered if setting up a viewport with fully rendered view and saving as PDF may be a quicker option as i can then add title block etc...

Thoughts? Practices?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The FASTEST way is to select the rendered viewport, copy and then simply paste into Photoshop or whatever image editor you prefer, it will save the rendered bitmap to the clipboard.

For image export, make sure to uncheck the two Update/Reset options at the bottom of Image Export and it wont require a rerender for marquee selection mode. However I recommend PNG and 150DPI settings, as the default JPEG settings are really low quality.

The fastest way, on a Mac, is to do a cropped Screen Shot. Hit Command+4 then use the cursor to "frame" or "crop" the image (that way it doesn't show the entire desktop. This will drop a PNG image onto your desktop. This image can then be renamed, recropped, or you can Save-As to a different format (PDF, JPEG,etc.).

Note that this is a fairly low-res image. Perfect for quick emailing, etc.

A solution is urgently needed.

I think the workaround was to convert each camera to a Viewport.

You could put these into the Publish Manager to batch Render

and Save these.

I think the manual way would be by "Export Image File" of a Viewport.

If I got it right, that still means to do a Marquee manually.

I'm not sure how to avoid the Marquee needed in Publisher.

Either it needs to set a Sheetlayer for each Camera/Viewport and scale

the viewport to full paper size, or some other way.

Then you could try to set a custom DPI setting like "183,74 DPI" to get

your wanted Pixel Size of f.e. 2400x1800 at the end.

What's the best way to create an image for presentation purposes once your render has completed?

I tried exporting as jpeg but it is such a long winded process as it has to re-render several times over. In the past i've just done a screen shot and used that.

I wondered if setting up a viewport with fully rendered view and saving as PDF may be a quicker option as i can then add title block etc...

Thoughts? Practices?

@simbob: I do your last thought and set up Sheet Layers with rendered viewports as I find it works pretty quickly and consistently.

When I present design options, I create several 8.5"x11" or 11"x17" sheet layers and put a rendered SLVP of the RW camera view on each sheet, one to a page. Then I can add title block, date, title, etc.

SK101 - Option A - View 1

SK102 - Option A - View 2

SK103 - Option A - View 3

You can then either export all of those SL one at a time as individual PDFs or batch them with the Publish command. If PDFs are in color and I don't want to show colors yet, I have an Automator script (on Mac OSX) that converts them to greyscale via drag-and-drop.

When I need to present design option B, C, D & E it is just as easy as duplicating all of those SL, renaming & renumbering them, and changing the class and layer visibility for the various options. Since duplicating the SL also duplicates the SLVP, I know that the different options will have the same exact camera view.

I find it is a pretty quick and easy workflow. When it comes time to make Constructiion Documents, I can copy or move those SLVP to a sheet in the drawing set.

I don't export images from a Design Layer because, as I understand it, it is rendering at full-resolution and will take much longer to render than if you had set up a SLVP where you can control the size and dpi of the rendering.

One thing I found was that if after you render the viewport it should export immediately, unless you have "update visible out of date viewports prior to exporting" ticked. (Bottom Left)

I couldn't figure out why it was stalling till I realized I had about 10 viewports across the page that the program started to render after I tried to export.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 1 year later...

Could someone clear the situation of overriding stuff in these Camera linked SLVPs? I'm specifically interested in the camera DPI and the sheet layer DPI, how do they relate to each other? 

Going along with that how does the rendering style and the environment the camera was set in relate to each other? For example rendering background settings and environment lighting settings? When I leave the option of the rendering style's background to get from "current background" that background is the background which the camera was originally setup-in right?

If you're making a sheet layer viewport, then the sheet layers DPI is all you need to concern yourself with, the Camera's doesn't appear to affect it. The Rendering style and background are overridden by the setting on the viewport, which is how I always control it after the viewport is created. "Current Background" will pull the background applied within the design layer, I do not believe it remembers what background was used at the time of camera creation.

Since over here is exactly the process we go thru every year when creating tons of renderings for brochures I have to say the best process is:

Set your view > create viewport > set layer to 300 dpi (final target)  > size your page to B size > set your rendering style > update viewport at low res if need a quikc review (50dpi) > create final render > don't forget to save viewport cache just in case you close the file > export to PDF, that is if your graphic designer needs to tailor some of those vector lines.