door schedule export

domer1322

Is it possible to do this:

generate a door schedule, then export it, then change some of the field data in MS Excel (for instance, change the door number or the door size) and then import it back into VW. Of course the idea is for someone who doesn't have VW to use Excel to edit the schedule, and then after importing it back into VW, the new worksheet now changes the plug in object parameters, like the door width.

I understand the import/export must be done using other formats (like CSV or SLYK) but I've tried a few times and it doesn't seem to be possible. If someone could confirm it is not possible, i'll give up.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you EXPORT a worksheet, once brought back in you will lose all the intelligent connections to existing objects from what I understand.

As an alternate method, I have seen users link to a database via ODBC and then use Excel to access that same database, but I am not familiar with the entire setup and configuration process.

Or you can possibly bring the data back in by copying from Excel and Pasting into the VW worksheet database.

This will only work if you have not changed the sort order on either end and have not added or deleted any objects on either end.

ie. If you export 15 doors to Excel, it would be best to bring all 15 doors back in the same order.

I would probably recommend bringing the data back in small pieces, like one or two columns at a time until you are certain it is coming back OK.

Ok, there is something funky with the paste. Try this.

Copy the data from a column in excel.

Paste that data into a set of non-database rows (normal cells).

Select and copy the data you just pasted.

Select an area in the database rows that exactly matches the number of rows you copied.

Paste.

I use a sample door schedule with 5 doors with identical door numbers. In excel I renumbered them from 1 to 5.

Using the steps above I was able to get the objects on the drawing to renumber 1 to 5.

Be very careful with this if you have Sort or Sum tiles active in the drawing. You could paste in the first column of data and that could change the orderof the objects in the database.

• 2 weeks later...

-Pat:

thanks for the help. It works ... sort of. It seems I can copy/paste individual columns one at a time using your method. However, I can not get it to copy/paste the entire worksheet of multiple rows and columns, in one action. In my case, i can keep the number of columns to a minimum (about 5) so I'll use your technique. I am glad that this method allows VW to change the geometry of the door symbol in top/plan view, so it is a time saver, instead of trying to change all the door heights/widths individually. Thanks.