Drawing real world doors and windows

D Wood

Question

I guess if your name is Gehry or Hadid you might be excited by the latest whirly twirly tools, but I would happily forego all that if I could draw doors and windows that use real world frame profiles in real world configurations.

Timber frames are actually made with rebated frames and sloping sills. Aluminium frames are made with finned extrusions and thermal breaks, as shown in my attachments. None of these are available in either the standard door and window tool or WinDoor.

It is not possible to draw a door or window that shows correctly in plan and both elevations, so I get it approximately right in plan, and draw the details and elevations in 2D. Quite how people produce a BIM compliant model, or are able to produce accurate elevations from the model is beyond me.

I also can't draw a 2 or 3 panel sliding door configuration that is common here: a fixed panel that is actually a stack of awning windows, with glazed door panels slide behind. Doors can't be used for ventilation here, hence the need to have opening windows in what is otherwise just a sliding door.

I'd really like the door and window tools to be improved, and I would put that at the top of my "list of things to do for next year".

Edited by D Wood

5 answers to this question