VW2016 Slowness

Kimcz

I have not heard anyone complain of the slowness and stickyness of VW2016. Is it only me? I at the moment working with a very large file-1,000,000KB. Why it is so large I don't know. I have stripped the 3d model out but all brick courses are drawn(i.e. not hatch).

The same file in 2016 in very sticky. There is always a delay before anything happens.

Many upgrades in the past have suffered from this until an fix has appeared on an SP. Will this be the same this time, and if so, when?

In the meantime I will have to revert to 2015, but this also is a little sticky because of the size of the file, but not a patch as bad as 2016.

On another aspect, is there a positive way of ensuring that a DWG export is exported as hidden line? Many of my recipients complain that all the lines are imported, as they do not use fills. This means that they need to do a lot of editing before the DWG translation becomes useful. In the day of BIM this translation should be seamless, but I may be exporting with the wrong settings. Does anybody have any thoughts/experiences to share? Any help would be appreciated.

We found that setting up our wall styles correctly to avoid duplicated lines has helped a lot.

When you add a wall component it automatically adds lines to both sides of it, even if the component next to it also has lines on either side. We now only show a line on the left side of each component, unless it is structural and we would want to show it on its own.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I have not heard anyone complain of the slowness and stickyness of VW2016. Is it only me? I at the moment working with a very large file-1,000,000KB. Why it is so large I don't know. I have stripped the 3d model out but all brick courses are drawn(i.e. not hatch).

The same file in 2016 in very sticky. There is always a delay before anything happens.

Thats a bit excessive of a file size, have you run the regular Purge commands to clean up duplicates and so on?

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1224/Purging+Your+Document

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/621/Speeding+Up+Vectorworks+-+File+Specifics

• 2 weeks later...

iMac 27", OX 10.10.5. I have a 458 meg file that has a lag time as well. It keeps flashing the "pinwheel of death" every few seconds as if it is still thinking. If I click on a drop down tool (or any other sidebar tool) it takes a few seconds to react (same responce if I sect objects in the drawing). So far there is only one file that it does this.

I have another file that is doing the "lag" thing.

I've noticed that the files I have issues with are ones that I have imported a larger 3DS or DWG file into it. (When I open the same files in VW 2015, I have no "lag" issues"). It's as if VW 2016 is recalculating every line in the drawing after each task I select? When I am in the tool pallets, I can select tools quickly and easily. As soo as I move the curser on to the drawing are, it slows down to a crawl for anthing I try to do.

I work in the tradeshow industry, so there are many times I need to import a 3rd party design model (dwg or 3ds) or a dwg file of a convention hall.

As I replace/redraw the model parts or hall drawing with my own drawing (and then delete the imported stuff), the file will start to behave more normal and faster until I have completely replace the import with my native VW creations.

iMac 27", OX 10.10.5, 3.5Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB graphics card

JonPM-

I would make a copy of your file before testing these options.

Once you're working on the copy, delete all the imported DWG layers, and then purge the file. Save and close the file. Reopen the file.

1) does it make any difference if you import the DWG into a separate blank .vwx file (aka "shuttle file"), purge it, save it and reference that .vwx file into your main working .vwx file?

2) does it make any difference if you reference the DWG instead of importing it?

Here's a link to a related thread containing the following advice from JimW (bold added by me):

File Size + OpenGL Speed

VWX files are not compressed at all that I am aware of. If you zip them you'll see a significant reduction in file size. (We normally recommend this for transferring the files, to speed things up) I've seen other requests for us to do this within our files automatically as well.

There are dozens of completely unrelated things that can cause OpenGL to slow down. Of the top of my head from what you describe:

1) DWG import directly into a file, without using a shuttle file in between, can absolutely add invisible junk that will slow you down.

2) A file around 1.2GB is likely to have a large number of objects, unless there is something very wrong with the file itself, it does not shock me that a file that large is rendering slowly.

Some things you can do to narrow it down to specific objects, if thats the cause of the slowness: Turn off half your classes or layers, then render in OpenGL. If its still slow, turn off half the remaining classes or layers and repeat.

If after you turn off half the layers or classes and it becomes fast, repeat the process within the list of classes/layer you disabled until you find the culprit.

Edited by rDesign

Hello @ all,

I have the same 'slowness problem' here. VW 2016 works fine as long as I don't use too many layers and too many objects. I have a file here that has 25 layers and about 250 objects, mostly Symbols. File size is 42MB.

Switching visiblity from an empty layer to all layers takes 2(!) minutes (in wireframe mode, no rendering).

I have testet it with imported 2015 files as well as new build 2016 files,- same effect. This seems not to be an importing problem. I even converted the sticky files back to 2015 format and they run properly in VW 2015.

VW 2016 is definitely unusable in this way. I reverted back to VW 2015 and hope that a quick SP will fix it....

There could be a service pack end of this month or early next month, as the Dutch language version normally includes SP1 and it is supposed to be released on 30 October, assuming there are no delays.

If the slowness is within Vectorworks itself and needs a fix I really hope it will be fixed in SP1

I'll give the post from JimW a try.

I just did the SP1 update and the files still behave the same way.

It's just odd that in VW 2015 they work fine, but in VW 2016 the are slow?

Usually I do import a DWG into a blank file, purge any unused layers, classes, symbols, etc, strip out what drawing entities I don't need, and then copy it into a new file.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is "Purge" and then "Purge Unused Objects". Check the "All Menus" section in the workspace editor.

The reason you might not see it in your workspace could be relation to our Migration Manager, in some cases its missed the new and/or rewritten tools when upgrading custom workspaces. But thats just a guess.

Jim, because of your comment I was wondering about the "Purge Unused Objects" and after adding it to the tools menu and trying it out I got a message saying this menu item is obsolete and it was advised to use "Purge".

Is there perhaps a reason to prefer "Purge Unused Objects" over "Purge" in some cases? If yes, which cases?

I know that sometimes the "obsolete" tools do come in handy, so just wondering a little bit here.

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem with 2016. My lag occurs when I insert a lighting instrument. I have, at least, a 1.5 second lag when I select an instrument from the Resource Browser and a .5-1 second lag when I insert a symbol into the drawing.

I am also experiencing the "stickyness" when I try to move around the drawing.

These problems seem to reside completely within the program. I've watched the CPU load on Task Manager and the video card load on MSI Afterburner and found neither components are being over tasked.

My video drivers are fully upgraded.