Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

test 1, 2, 3, test 1, 2, 3,: strange offset and how to substract?

Bas Vellekoop

If you unplug the Boolean node and run your script you'll see there's an error message. This means its never getting to the Ungroup or Boolean nodes to execute them.....

Its interesting how the network runs without giving an error when you execute it immediately after opening the file. If you try and run it a second time it fails with an error message. Not sure why that's happening....

Kevin

@ Pat: the bli-object object is in one of the 2 groups and in the shelled solid

@ kevin: Strange, here it runs without errors, even if I run the script several times, or remove the group and Boolean commands

What I`m trying to do:

- draw by hand a surface (here it is a interpolated surface)

- shell the surface

- create ribs on the surface (could be any kind of geometry)

- Boolean the shelled surface with the ribs

attached the file only with the surface. If I run the command I get 2 groups. One with the lofted ribs and one with the shelled interpolated surface.

Both are in a group, I thought: ungroup them and then Boolean them... but that doesn't work?

Thanks for helping!

I think there's a bug here somewhere. I've had some issues myself with the grouping of output from nodes that generate geometry.

Pat, when Nodes output geometry is it always in a group regardless of what the interior node code says? If you look at the bottom branch of this script using the Debug Tool it says the Shell node is outputting "Vectorworks Handle type: 84" which is a solid, isn't it? Yet if you unplug the node and select the generated object its a group containing a solid (shell). Because the Ungroup node will see the handle as "Vectorworks Handle type: 84" it doesn't ungroup the object. A similar thing is happening in the top branch which is generating four "Vectorworks Handle type: 86" which also come out grouped but then don't ungroup with the following Ungroup node.

In my own scripts I've had problems with getting two different groups out of the Duplicate Node which may be related.

Kevin

You can see the bug in this simple duplicate script, where you get two resultant groups when you duplicate an object three times. The Duplicate node is trying to append to the original object it receives but it doesn't see the group, it only sees the polygon handle (Vectorworks Handle type: 5) output by the Regular Polygon node. Append can't append to a polygon object so it starts a new group instead and puts the last two object in it. Definitely a bug.

That said, then the original node network should boolean properly if you take the Ungroup nodes out, but it doesn't. The result is still two groups.

Kevin

Each node that generates geometry (or duplicates it) puts it in a group. This group is what links the geometry back to the node that created it so it can be deleted when the script is run again. These groups are not passed through the wires because what we actually want to manipulate (usually) in the network is the geometry, not the container group. Not sure there is a bug here. What exactly is the problem? maybe I can come up with a solution.

What I am seeing here is that the output of the network is two groups. One group is a single polygon, probably the one generated by the original Regular Polygon node. The other has three polygons, the same number as specified to the into the Duplicate Object node.

I think the question or bug is why is a network with a single open output generating two groups?

Each node that generates geometry (or duplicates it) puts it in a group. This group is what links the geometry back to the node that created it so it can be deleted when the script is run again. These groups are not passed through the wires because what we actually want to manipulate (usually) in the network is the geometry, not the container group. Not sure there is a bug here. What exactly is the problem? maybe I can come up with a solution.

I doesn't seem to be possible to boolean/subtract the two groups. Hope you can help

Because the geometry is generated by 2 nodes. 1 creates a polygon and another creates some duplicates. They are independant operations.

So EVERY node that creates an object or objects in a network will result in an group as the output of the network? Even if the object created was only to be used as source geometry for further operations???

If I add a GROUP node at the end and take the output of the Polygon node and the Duplicate Object node into the objs input, I get a single group out. That group contains a single group and that group contains 5 polygons.

If I add Group node to just the Duplicate Object node, I get a group/group/4 polygons which is closer to what I would expect.

There is something here that is not making sense to me at all. What am I missing?

What do I need to do to get a single group with 4 polygons, the original and the 3 duplicates?

I doesn't seem to be possible to boolean/subtract the two groups. Hope you can help

I'd be curious as to why the boolean doesn't work too. If I ungroup the resulting geometry and manually Add Solids they boolean just fine. The Boolean node doesn't seem to do anything to these objects in any of the three modes.

Because the geometry is generated by 2 nodes. 1 creates a polygon and another creates some duplicates. They are independant operations.

From a logical perspective this makes sense but I feel like the residual geometry is just in the way. I guess the Duplicate node is a direct interpretation of the Edit>Duplicate command. I would prefer a duplicate operation where you can choose to retain the original object or not like Duplicate Array or Move by Points with duplicate on. I looked around for other nodes that Duplicate/Copy and the only one I saw was Copy. Interestingly copy has two outputs (orig and copy) and in my testing only generates one object.

In my example, what happens downstream, does the next node in the sequence see the input as individual pieces of geometry even though they are contained in two separate groups?

What do I need to do to get a single group with 4 polygons, the original and the 3 duplicates?

It seems like adding a Group node and then an Ungroup node does the trick... though this couldn't be the only way, could it?

So the irony is if you end a network with an Ungroup node you'll still end up with a group as the result.....

This is all very insightful albeit a bit confusing.

Kevin

I made the following changes to the file.

- I checked the "Create a duplicate object" option in the Name node. Otherwise the Shell node consumes the surface on the first run.

- I removed the ungroup nodes. Even though the result of a node creating geometry ends up in a group in the work space, the objects themselves are what get passed through the wires. So ungrouping is not necessary here. If fact what you are telling it to ungroup here is the objects, not the groups. In this example, harmless but in other cases I could see it causing problems. Like, if you were passing a plugin object to the ungroup node, it would try and ungroup the plugin.

- I switched the order of the inputs to the Boolean node. We want to add each of the ribs to the shell, not add the shell to each of the ribs. Maybe I need to explain this in the description for the Boolean node or change the logic so there is no difference.....not sure if that’s possible or desirable in all cases. Things get complicated with lists and lists of lists and what the "correct" behavior is.

@Mark

I had a quick look at the file.

Is it intended to work like this, or should it work as in your post/file from 09/23/15 as well?

Don't want to burn it down, but it seems (too) complicated, for the relative simple task of adding or subtracting geometry.

I don't have any experience with scripting what so ever so it could be my ignorance.

The problem in this file is that EAP's are plugins which dont get fully reset until after the script completes. This is a legacy "feature" from VectorScript designed to protect against avalanches of plugins reseting each other during script execution. So, as a result the extrude along path geometry is not available for use in booleans in the same script that creates them. Very unfortunate, but thats the way it is for now. Please file a bug or enhancement request and maybe we can find away around it.

The problem in this file is that EAP's are plugins which dont get fully reset until after the script completes. This is a legacy "feature" from VectorScript designed to protect against avalanches of plugins reseting each other during script execution. So, as a result the extrude along path geometry is not available for use in booleans in the same script that creates them. Very unfortunate, but thats the way it is for now. Please file a bug or enhancement request and maybe we can find away around it.

I've submitted it to the wishlist here - https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=216600Post216600

Mark, could you act on a duplicate of the EAP or convert it to a generic solid within the Marionette script or do you run up against the same limitation? Do EAPs used as control geometry have the same issue?

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • 3 months later...