Sign in to follow this  
J. Wallace

RW Camera-Plug-in tool could not be selected

Just started playing with 2016 and opened a recent file created in 2015. When I go to select the RW camera I get a message stating the plug-in tool could not be selected. It is missing necessary resources or the file is damaged. I migrated my workspace over, not sure if that is the issue?

I have nothing but chaos with 2015 cameras in 2016 so far in general.

At the moment I test with 2015-camera-free files only .

Just started playing with 2016 and opened a recent file created in 2015. When I go to select the RW camera I get a message stating the plug-in tool could not be selected. It is missing necessary resources or the file is damaged. I migrated my workspace over, not sure if that is the issue?

This can be corrected in this manner:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1346/Missing+Tools+after+using+Migration+Manager

I will try that later if that changes ....

Oooops,

I was still on my other 2015 camera problems.

But if I will also miss some tools one day I will do according jims last link

of course.

Edited by zoomer

I had this same problem but fixed it (had to do it with the Heliodon tool too). But I have a new problem related to cameras on a converted v2015 file I'm working on. When I go into my sheet layers and try to edit viewports that are linked to a renderworks camera by double clicking them, I get blankness.

It does transport me to the camera view where I can edit the camera settings but nothing in the camera shows up. The correct design layers and classes show that they are active but they don't display. I can switch to plan view and everything is still missing except for the camera itself. If I hit the return to viewport button it does render as if everything is still there.

@Altivec:

1) Do you still have the issues with a new RW camera created in that converted 2015 file?

2) Have you tried JimW's suggestion in this other VW 2016 - Cameras thread to use 'Layer Import'?

For any of the things youre noticing in files that came from 2015 to 2016, once youve converted them, perform this procedure to bring everything into a new blank 2016 document:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

If the issue stops, it was conversion or file specific, if not, then it may be something Vectorworks/operation specific. This will help narrow it down, but in either case, the file and report should be sent to your support as well, its much easier to track issues through normal support channels during release when forum activity is so high. I don't mean to say you SHOULDN'T keep posting about it here, I just don't want to miss anything accidentally.

rDesign,

Yes I am still having this problem with all of my files that I convert over to 2016.

I don't understand what Jim is trying to tell us about "layer Import". Am I suppose to import my layers and classes into a new document and then copy and paste my drawings in there? That sounds illogical and a nightmare.

What I did try to do with some success is going into camera view from the viewport and then switch to plan view. Although nothing else shows up, the actual camera does. So I copied the camera and exited. I then went back to my design layers and did an option paste which places the camera in the exact location it was. The only problem with this method is that it does not remember which layers or classes were on or off, so I have to go back and set that up all manually. Once I create a new viewport, the camera appears to be working normally and can be edited thereafter by double clicking the viewport.

This is definitely a bug I would like to see fixed. I use a ton of cameras and this is not a fun process that I would like to do every time I import one of my old files.

I don't understand what Jim is trying to tell us about "layer Import". Am I suppose to import my layers and classes into a new document and then copy and paste my drawings in there? That sounds illogical and a nightmare.

In the article, it describes checking "Import Layer Objects' during the Layer Import action, so that when you import the classes and layers, you bring all of the objects as well. This is just a troubleshooting step as a workaround IF problems occur, it is not a standard recommendation for everyday file conversion, just if something goes wrong.

Jim, I kind of got that from your post and video, however, I don't understand when I'm suppose to do the layer import and from which file.

Am I suppost to open my 2015 file in 2016. Open a blank new file, import my layers from the converted 2016 file and then copy and paste objects from that file into the new blank one.

or

Am I suppose to just create a new file in 2016 and import my layers from my non converted 2015 file. Open the 2015 file in VW2015 and copy and paste object from the 2015 file right into the blank 2016 file.

or

am I completely not understanding this (which is the option I'm leaning towards)

Will any of this fix all my cameras in one shot?

Am I suppost to open my 2015 file in 2016. Open a blank new file, import my layers from the converted 2016 file and then copy and paste objects from that file into the new blank one.

This option. This procedure can correct many conversion issues, but since they're all file specific, there isn't always a way to know before it is attempted. It is not guaranteed, no.

BTW: For quite some time now every time I submit my post, after about 10 seconds I get greeted with a blank page that says:

504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.

The post does actually submit but the message gives you the impression that it didn't which I'm sure causes people to hit their back button and resubmit.

BTW: For quite some time now every time I submit my post, after about 10 seconds I get greeted with a blank page that says:

504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.

The post does actually submit but the message gives you the impression that it didn't which I'm sure causes people to hit their back button and resubmit.

You aren't alone. It happens to me constantly as well, it also generates double and triple posts a few dozen times a day, I currently delete them manually. This will be resolved once we can upgrade the forums.

Okay thanks Jim.

I'll give it a try on one of my files to see if it does correct the camera issues I'm having.