RW Camera-Plug-in tool could not be selected

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just started playing with 2016 and opened a recent file created in 2015. When I go to select the RW camera I get a message stating the plug-in tool could not be selected. It is missing necessary resources or the file is damaged. I migrated my workspace over, not sure if that is the issue?

This can be corrected in this manner:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1346/Missing+Tools+after+using+Migration+Manager

@Altivec:

1) Do you still have the issues with a new RW camera created in that converted 2015 file?

2) Have you tried JimW's suggestion in this other VW 2016 - Cameras thread to use 'Layer Import'?

For any of the things youre noticing in files that came from 2015 to 2016, once youve converted them, perform this procedure to bring everything into a new blank 2016 document:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

If the issue stops, it was conversion or file specific, if not, then it may be something Vectorworks/operation specific. This will help narrow it down, but in either case, the file and report should be sent to your support as well, its much easier to track issues through normal support channels during release when forum activity is so high. I don't mean to say you SHOULDN'T keep posting about it here, I just don't want to miss anything accidentally.

I don't understand what Jim is trying to tell us about "layer Import". Am I suppose to import my layers and classes into a new document and then copy and paste my drawings in there? That sounds illogical and a nightmare.

In the article, it describes checking "Import Layer Objects' during the Layer Import action, so that when you import the classes and layers, you bring all of the objects as well. This is just a troubleshooting step as a workaround IF problems occur, it is not a standard recommendation for everyday file conversion, just if something goes wrong.

Am I suppost to open my 2015 file in 2016. Open a blank new file, import my layers from the converted 2016 file and then copy and paste objects from that file into the new blank one.

This option. This procedure can correct many conversion issues, but since they're all file specific, there isn't always a way to know before it is attempted. It is not guaranteed, no.

BTW: For quite some time now every time I submit my post, after about 10 seconds I get greeted with a blank page that says:

504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.

The post does actually submit but the message gives you the impression that it didn't which I'm sure causes people to hit their back button and resubmit.

You aren't alone. It happens to me constantly as well, it also generates double and triple posts a few dozen times a day, I currently delete them manually. This will be resolved once we can upgrade the forums.