Tree schedule height & spread record formula

JX Team

HI Ozzie, thanks but this hasn't worked, there is a work around attaching a separate record of width and height to each plant -

http://learn.archoncad.com/2015/01/21338/podcast-210-why-is-my-vectorworks-plant-schedule-wrong/

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2015/NNA/eng/index.htm#t=VW2015_Guide%2FSymbols%2FAttaching_Record_Formats_to_Symbols_and_Objects.htm%23XREF_10680_Attaching_Record

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2015/NNA/eng/index.htm#t=VW2015_Guide%2FSymbols%2FCreating_Record_Formats.htm

However we need to test if this separate record attaches to the plant record when using the plant/tree in other files or drawings.

A more automated, less labor intensive solution would be best!

Hi

I do not do it this way and do not view it as a work around

Rather in a sense almost misinformation

Question ...

Are you using the Plant Database?

Need to understand that

What I do with

=('Plant Record'.'Mature Height')

=('Plant Record'.'Mature Spread')

Work perfectly for me

D

Maybe but I doubt it

I do a little VWLM training here and use the VW Plant database

My spin though is I delete all plants from it, start afresh and only use plants I know

Others disagree with that but I can see no point of having a huge database of plants that I do not use

In the database when you use heights and spreads that information will come into a Worksheet as will other info

Depends I suppose on what you want to do and if you want those Plant Definitions in the database hanging around for a long time into the future where you can use that information to build your own plants

Let me know if you want any help and I could do a little movie for you showing how I do things

D

Hi Ozzie,

Double checked your =('Plant Record'.'Mature Height')

formula and it sorts our problem, so thanks for sharing that.

Agree with you starting a fresh on the plant database, we stick to a small number of tried and tested plants here so having every plant in there doesnt make sense and may confuse things.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding plants maybe you folks can answer. I am trying to insert a tree into a model of a set I have designed in the Architect work space. I may also dip into the Spotlight work space lighting and drapes as well. But I have a tree in my set so rather than drawing one from scratch I though I would just insert one from the Landmark work space. However I have had lots of difficulty getting things to show up the way I want, especially in the plan and elevation mode. Using Open GL in perspective, I can see the tree fine and it looks great. (though I would like to change its' color, ie: I don't want it to be green, but rather off white or cream, but that is probably another question)

Why won't it show up as a simple 2D symbol in my ground plan? I have tried changing the spread and height, and it seems to effect the perspective view in open GL, but when I view in plan I either get a cross hair place holder, or noting at all!

Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Raj

Edited by rajwest

Hi Raj,

It sounds like you are inserting Landmark Plant Object not a tree.

The differences are many.

Plant Objects are designed to represent size, position/scatter, data, a 2d graphical style and a 3d Image Prop view when rendered. The Image prop is the textured crossed planes that you're seeing in Top view. In Top/Plan you should see the 2d graphic. It seems that in your case you have lost the connection to the 2d component or its classes may be are turned off.

I doubt the Existing Tree tool would give you the look you want, it produces representative geometric forms in 3d which are probably too general for scenic design.

I would just try placing a new one in a new document and see if you can get it to look right.

The color is driven by the Texture that the Image Prop uses. You can darken it by applying a Filter Color but I don't believe that you can reasonably lighten it or change the shade other than replacing the Image Shader of the texture.

Also - take a look at the VBvisual Plant at the bottom of the Visualization Tool Palette.