voronoi familiar colorful cubes

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's brand new! Also I had the permissions on it set improperly the day we rolled the new forums out. 

This is where I will be moving all confirmed bugs in the software, content, website and forum after they have been "officially" confirmed by me or another employee. The idea is that an bugs overall path would be:

Troubleshooting Forum > Issues Discussed > Issue Confirmed > Issue Moved to Known Issues > Updates on Issue as they come > Confirmation of fix in a given version or at a given date.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • Marionette Maven
22 minutes ago, hans@mnpro.no said:

I would like to try the voronoiObj.vwx file, but when I press the link I get  an error message: We could not locate the item you are trying to view. Could you perhaps upload it again?

This should be the one!

VoronoiObj.vwx

Also - I updated the first two posts in this thread to have their original attachments. You will find, though, that this/these files may require external python libraries. In 2017, this is easy to remedy, but 2016 is significantly harder - I never even got it to work.

EDIT:

Here's the same file working in 2017 on Windows. I'll work on updating it to be cross platform soon.

VoronoiObj_v2017.vwx

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am trying to install numpy and scipy  without success.

I am able to install - using pip - a previous version of either numpy and scipy but I am not able to see them.

I placed numpy and the info file and the same for scipy into PythonExternal in Library inside Vectorworks folder, but modifying the voronoi example bring up a - very large - error window.

So, I need a better instruction on installing the requested version of the package.

Thank you

Roberto

• Marionette Maven
On 3/21/2017 at 5:45 PM, r.cipriani said:

Hi,

I am trying to install numpy and scipy  without success.

I am able to install - using pip - a previous version of either numpy and scipy but I am not able to see them.

I placed numpy and the info file and the same for scipy into PythonExternal in Library inside Vectorworks folder, but modifying the voronoi example bring up a - very large - error window.

So, I need a better instruction on installing the requested version of the package.

Thank you

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

In 2017 we introduced a command that would help to install python packages for you. 

Can you try this for me?

1) Exit the Vectorworks application

2) Go to the Python Externals folder where you placed numpy and scipy, remove the numpy and scipy files you have placed there

3) Open the attached file in Vectorworks 2017

When you go to move the object or change any parameters, a dialog should pop up asking if you want to download numpy, click OK and then a dialog will pop up asking if you want to install scipy, click OK again, wait for the packages to install, and then you should be able to use the Marionette object without any issues.

I had some coworkers here test to make sure this works on both Mac and Windows platforms, so please let me know if you are still encountering any errors.

Thank you!

Marissa

VoronoiObj_v2017_CrossPlatform_MFarrell.vwx

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

Hi Roberto,

I'll have to look into this more, I've never received this error.

It shouldn't be important to remove the libraries from your copy of Python, Vectorworks ships with its own Python 3.3 version.

If you go to your Vectorworks 2017 User Folder, is there a folder called Python Externals there? That is where this script should be installing the numpy and scipy libraries. I can forward this on to the engineer if we don't get it working soon.

Also, which Service Pack are you using?

Thanks!

Marissa

• Marionette Maven

@DomC

Thanks so much for checking! I'm glad they are working.

I'm hoping to get some sort of documentation on how to use the command to install external libraries going in the future - currently I just don't have the time!

The biggest thing is to make sure that you're using a link to a wheel file that corresponds to your operating system and Python 3.3 (since it's the one Vectorworks uses)

The link address can either be online or a local wheel file.

On 23/3/2017 at 3:43 PM, MarissaF said:

Hi Roberto,

I'll have to look into this more, I've never received this error.

It shouldn't be important to remove the libraries from your copy of Python, Vectorworks ships with its own Python 3.3 version.

If you go to your Vectorworks 2017 User Folder, is there a folder called Python Externals there? That is where this script should be installing the numpy and scipy libraries. I can forward this on to the engineer if we don't get it working soon.

Also, which Service Pack are you using?

Thanks!

Marissa

Hi Marissa

I don't have "Python Externals" in user folder, nor in the root or in the Library. I created a "PythonExternals" inside Library inside Vectorworks application folder as from some instruction I got on the list. Now I created some "Python Externals" in some locations: but I continue to receive the error of lacking permission (see attached screenshot) and none of Python Externals folders get populated.

My service pack is SP3 build 356720.

Schermata 2017-03-24 alle 15.59.21.PDF

• Marionette Maven

Thanks Roberto!

It looks like there may be some permissions errors, or some script errors, when the VerifyOrGetLib command is trying to create the Python Externals folder in your 2017 User Folder.

Are you using a localized version or the English version of Vectorworks? Is your computer using a language other than English?

As a test, could you create a folder in your 2017 user folder called "Python Externals" as shown below and try running the network again?

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.09.44 AM.png

18 minutes ago, MarissaF said:

Thanks Roberto!

It looks like there may be some permissions errors, or some script errors, when the VerifyOrGetLib command is trying to create the Python Externals folder in your 2017 User Folder.

Are you using a localized version or the English version of Vectorworks? Is your computer using a language other than English?

As a test, could you create a folder in your 2017 user folder called "Python Externals" as shown below and try running the network again?

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.09.44 AM.png

Hi Marissa,

I am using the English version of Vectorworks on an Italian language system.

I made this test:

1) created a new user;

2) launch VW, inserting the serial, ecc.;

3) running VoronoiObj_v2017_CrossPlatform_MFarrell;

4) I was asked to authorize the download of numpy and later of scipy, I allowed;

5) the Marionette script ran as expected;

6) I checked that a Python External folder was created and populated in User Folder; I found also a copule of other files, as from you screenshot;

7) I copied the folder and files on user folder of my usual user, assigned ownership to myself;

8) running VoronoiObj_v2017_CrossPlatform_MFarrell gave me the usual error of privileges.

I also tried to create an empty Python External as from your suggestion but continued to receive the error.

Thank you

Ciao

Roberto

• Marionette Maven

So it sounds like we've at least narrowed it down to your user account, if I'm reading correctly.

Are there any special characters in your account name or the path to your user folder?

Can you double check again and make sure you have the appropriate permissions on your user folder?

I'm assuming you quit and restarted Vectorworks on your personal account after copying the files over, if not, please do that as well.

I'm sort of at a loss at this point, I haven't been able to reproduce this and haven't heard of any other users experiencing it. 

31 minutes ago, MarissaF said:

So it sounds like we've at least narrowed it down to your user account, if I'm reading correctly.

Are there any special characters in your account name or the path to your user folder?

Can you double check again and make sure you have the appropriate permissions on your user folder?

I'm assuming you quit and restarted Vectorworks on your personal account after copying the files over, if not, please do that as well.

I'm sort of at a loss at this point, I haven't been able to reproduce this and haven't heard of any other users experiencing it. 

Hi,

thank you for your support.

Yes, narrowed to my user account, and no special characters...

the full path to user folder (rubbanew is my account):

/Volumes/rubbabook/Users/rubbanew/Library/Application\ Support/VectorWorks/2017/Python\ Externals

and the full path to the Vectorworks 2017 folder:

/Applications/Vectorworks\ 2017\ vari/Vectorworks\ 2017/Libraries 

and the ownership of files:

rubbabook:2017 rubbanew$ ls -lsa

total 65568

0 drwxr-xr-x@ 22 rubbanew  staff       748 24 Mar 17:38 .

0 drwx---r-x  10 rubbanew  staff       340 31 Mag  2016 ..

40 -rw-r--r--@  1 rubbanew  staff     16388 24 Mar 17:31 .DS_Store

8 -rw-r--r--   1 rubbanew  staff       210 10 Ago  2016 CSHRedirect.html

80 -rw-r--r--@  1 rubbanew  staff     40091 16 Mar 18:28 DXF_DWG_DWF Import Log

8 -rw-r--r--@  1 rubbanew  staff      1998 24 Mar 17:38 Error Output

0 drwxr-xr-x   3 rubbanew  staff       102 25 Mag  2016 Extras

0 drwxr-xr-x  20 rubbanew  staff       680 24 Mar 16:02 Libraries

0 drwxr-xr-x   3 rubbanew  staff       102 25 Mag  2016 Plant Database

0 drwxr-xr-x  12 rubbanew  staff       408 24 Mar 17:37 Plug-ins

0 drwxr-xr-x+  7 rubbanew  staff       238 24 Mar 16:38 Python Externals

0 drwxr-xr-x   2 rubbanew  staff        68 24 Ott 22:09 Renderworks

0 drwxr-xr-x  12 rubbanew  staff       408  3 Ott 21:26 Settings

19576 -rw-r--r--   1 rubbanew  staff  10020332 24 Mar 17:38 VW User Log Sent.txt

....... etc ....

the only difference seem Python Externals have extended permission ...

rubbabook:Python Externals rubbanew$ ls -lsa

total 16

0 drwxr-xr-x+  7 rubbanew  staff   238 24 Mar 16:38 .

0 drwxr-xr-x@ 22 rubbanew  staff   748 24 Mar 16:28 ..

16 -rw-r--r--@  1 rubbanew  staff  6148 24 Mar 16:39 .DS_Store

0 drwxr-xr-x+ 26 rubbanew  staff   884 24 Mar 16:20 numpy

0 drwxr-xr-x+  9 rubbanew  staff   306 24 Mar 16:20 numpy-1.10.4.dist-info

0 drwxr-xr-x+ 32 rubbanew  staff  1088 24 Mar 16:20 scipy

0 drwxr-xr-x+  9 rubbanew  staff   306 24 Mar 16:20 scipy-0.16.1.dist-info

rubbabook:Python Externals rubbanew$ cd numpy

rubbabook:numpy rubbanew$ ls -lsa

total 576

0 drwxr-xr-x+ 26 rubbanew  staff     884 24 Mar 16:20 .

0 drwxr-xr-x+  7 rubbanew  staff     238 24 Mar 16:38 ..

8 -rw-r--r--+  1 rubbanew  staff    1375 24 Mar 16:20 __config__.py

16 -rw-r--r--+  1 rubbanew  staff    6808 24 Mar 16:20 __init__.py

... etc....

I quitted and restarted VW between each test...

The content of Error Log files is:

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=PolyHd
  File "<string>", line 1919, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 1371, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 482, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 462, in GetArea
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

Error: Handle variable is NIL.

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=handleParam
  File "<string>", line 1727, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 727, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 650, in vsLibFunc

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=objectToDuplicate
  File "<string>", line 1846, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 848, in RunNode

Error: An incorrect object is described.

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=objectHandle
  File "<string>", line 851, in RunNode

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=handleParam
  File "<string>", line 852, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 606, in vsLibFunc

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=h
  File "<string>", line 1891, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 886, in RunNode

Error: Invalid callback function parameter type. Parameter index=  0 name=objectHandle
  File "<string>", line 1891, in RunNode
  File "<string>", line 908, in RunNode

I continue to test and check... perhaps I'll find something.

Ciao
Roberto

Hi

I try to do something organic out of that in 3D. Often requested from students and teachers. My approaches:

1. Project Points on a NURBS (Not satisfying completely because on steep surface there had to be some kind of compensation  )

2. Making path extrudes for skeleton

3. Round an offset path (project an offset path) Someone knows how to round a nurbs curve?

4. Add all those path extrudes (which maybe failed because or geometrical inconsistencies) and get a soft and organic form ...

Or is it possible to just meshing (I think it maybe could, because I think there are python based examples which can do this?) the whole geometry and using python for calculating all mesh points. 

Hopeless?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-30 um 00.04.32.png

VoronoiObj_3D_Projection.vwx

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hi all,

I'm attempting to install numpy in Vectorworks 2019 using the file Marissa provided in the thread above (VoronoiObj_v2017_CrossPlatform_MFarrell.vwx). It isn't working, I get an error message that says 'module numpy cannot be installed' when I attempt to move the object inside the file. Marissa, are there updates in 2019 that make the file from 2017 incompatible?

Thanks!