2016 point cloud import

RWSD

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

They can't be converted for now. The points are made snappable to that it can be used as a reference for drawing with exact measurements. If you just want the solid geometry, normally you would convert the point cloud or export it as a 3D solid from the scanner instead, then import it as one of the 3D formats we've supported for awhile now like 3DS or more recently, OBJ.

• 7 months later...

Is there any way of controlling the origin / position of a point cloud when importing into Vectorworks 2016? It seems that the point cloud it is always centered on the internal origin, and not aligned with the internal or user origin. A surveyor has supplied me with DWG files and .e57 Point Cloud files for the same job, that align with eachother perfectly in Revit thanks to the origin options on Revit's point cloud import dialogue. The only way I've found to match the point cloud to the DWG in Vectorworks is to manually reposition it. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious here.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not yet, it has to be imported and then positioned after. Some point cloud file types contain origin/georeference-like info and some do not, I believe the plan is to support it for those that do in the future or at least add a UI element to control it during import.

• 2 weeks later...