Vectorworks 2016 is here, ask us anything!

Thanks so much for clearing it up for my Jim!

I went and watched the silent movie that was posted months ago as a preview to Project Sharing and got the gist of it finally. Your post also shed light on it.

I took the notion of checking out layers as just that, checking out design layers, but didn't consider sheet layers. I see now in the video that you can check out sheet layers after the admin has created them.

I'm looking forward to giving this a go!

Cheers,

Rob

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in this version, but the plan is to have all the functionality the original export plugin did, and more in the future.

Hi Jim,

Sorry to come back to this issue again however this is extremely important to me as I use c4d mainly for presentation work and it's costing me a huge amount of time to get the model to c4d.

Do you know if vw2017 will at least have some of this functionality? Even if it's just "by texture" and release of all control to c4d, all my problems would be solved.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you know if vw2017 will at least have some of this functionality? Even if it's just "by texture" and release of all control to c4d, all my problems would be solved.

I do not, no. Unfortunately at this stage of development there IS a list of proposed features for 2017 but at any time in the next few months one or all could be added or removed in an instant. If I do see specifics that I am able to share, I absolutely will.

Hi, pulling my hair out a little here (and I really need it) just upgraded to 2016.

macOS X Yosemite

...with 2015 and all previous versions files/drawings opened per window (1 drawing per window).

...with 2016 all my files/drawings are now opening in 1 window and the only way I have found to switch between drawings that are open is to use the

>top menu >window ...and select the file I wish to view/edit

I have multiple displays and really need to view multiple drawings at the same time... I am really hoping I am missing a simple action to turn off this 1 window approach and be a able to see all the drawings I have opened.

ie. as you can with multiple mac finder windows etc...

Please advise, may thanks in advance.

Edited by stueey

^

I think you can run 2016 in the old 2015 mode when you deactivate docking

of the palettes. Window > Palette Options > uncheck all

Then you should be able to switch between multiple drawings.

I have no problem going to window > filename

as it is the same way in many other Apps. And I prefer the clean docked look

over sorting drawings by scaling their windows down from different sides to be

able to pick all of them in any way by mouse in some way to switch between them.

I like the new logo for the application myself. Its dramatic and makes the file icons and application in the dock stand out. The thin red line outside the white border makes it feel sophisticated. I'm not so crazy about the new Nomad icon. Not sure why. It always catches my eye because its so black, but more like a black hole or black cloud unfortunately. I wish it was red too.

KM

I didn't originally like the whole flat design movement that's been happening, but I much prefer the flatter icon over the previous ones that were sort of 3D slant-view. Up against normal Mac and Windows system icons the older logo was looking very dated indeed.

Does 2016 provide a method for automatically referencing sections or elevations, and updating the tags when they move?

For instance, if I have a section that appears on, say, sheet A401, and I move the section to a new sheet, say A402, does the reference to this section update, or do I still need to manually edit all the tags?

In ArchiCAD, for instance, if I draw a elevation in a model, then place the "viewport" on a sheet, all the references tags to the elevation are automatically created and updated, bidirectionally, upon creation and relocation.

Anything like this in VW16?

I just moved from 2012 to 2016

I often send files out for CNC cutting.

The CNC folks want DXF or DWG files and in particular Version 2000

When I send anything with a curve instead of sending a smooth arc it breaks it into many segments, some of them open causing errors and manually zooming and fixing each one.

Is there some setting that will export arcs instead of segmented lines?

Thanks

Hmm, OK. I didn't have any problems until I tried to upgrade a computer a 4th time with 2015, so I assumed it was three.

Would Nemetschek ever consider moving to a subscription model similar to Adobe's? I like that I can install on as many machines as I need to and simply sign out all other computers remotely if I need to use a product on a different machine. It also makes upgrading computers much less painful as your old computer isn't "using" one of your installs. Thanks.

Hmm, OK. I didn't have any problems until I tried to upgrade a computer a 4th time with 2015, so I assumed it was three.

Would Nemetschek ever consider moving to a subscription model similar to Adobe's? I like that I can install on as many machines as I need to and simply sign out all other computers remotely if I need to use a product on a different machine. It also makes upgrading computers much less painful as your old computer isn't "using" one of your installs. Thanks.

That I cannot answer for certain, I haven't seen plans for it but likely even if I had, it would be very secretive until it was released publicly. Things based around the pay model are rarely shared early.

I would like to see something similar, however. Many users have asked for monthly subscriptions as well, especially students, as they only use Vectorworks a number of months out of the entire year and in those situations often move across multiple machines at home/school/internships.

I just moved from 2012 to 2016

I often send files out for CNC cutting.

The CNC folks want DXF or DWG files and in particular Version 2000

When I send anything with a curve instead of sending a smooth arc it breaks it into many segments, some of them open causing errors and manually zooming and fixing each one.

Is there some setting that will export arcs instead of segmented lines?

Thanks

I have seen that users have to convert to NURBS in order to force this automatically during export. Apparently Arcs don't "always" convert to Splines directly in DWG format but I am not sure of the reasoning behind this.

I have also seen that 2D and 3D conversion res (Controlled in Vectorworks Preferences under Edit and 3D respectively) will affect the faceting, with higher res settings during export giving you less faceting but that likely won't be enough of a solution for CNC work.

However, this can also be the case:

http://autocadtips1.com/2011/08/02/how-to-fix-blocky-circles-arcs/

Guest Wes Gardner

@altoids - Yes, as long as you use "Create Section Viewport" to create your sections and elevations, things are coordinated. This is also true with "Create Detail Viewport" Keep in mind, to get the section (or elevation) markers to show in your PLANS, go to the viewport that created the section (or elevation) and in the OIP near the bottom, choose "Section Line Instances", then under the "Viewports" tab, choose which viewport you want your markers to appear in.

(Just FYI, This is a very good example of why you should name your viewports)

Wes

Regarding using Vectorworks on multiple computers without having to deactivate or sign out, try getting a license that uses a dongle. That way you can install on as many machines as you want and can use it only on the machine to which the dongle is connected. Even better... if you have multiple licenses/dongles you can use one and the same install on a machine for multiple people, as long as the dongle license number is registered on that machine and the proper dongle is used. (though the latter seemed to be somewhat broken in a previous version as it did only keep one serial number instead of multiple numbers as in the past, but this may have been repaired)

Regarding a subscription model... if that would be the only option and without perpetual license option then I would be strongly opposed to that.

Adobe lost me as a customer after they first said that perpetual licenses would still be there and you'd have to upgrade to CS6 in order to be able to upgrade to CS7 and shortly after the upgrade period for CS6 ended they said Creative Cloud was going to be the only option, there would be no CS7 and no more perpetual licenses, not even an option to keep the current version as a perpetual license after you end a CC subscription. I want to be able to open and edit my files in the (near) future without having to be forced to "upgrade" to the then current version which may not even support the "old" version anymore.