Vectorworks 2016 is here, ask us anything!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

1. You need to use a subdivision primitive (different location, different primitive).

2. This appears to be strictly organic in nature. I was hoping it was going to both sharp lines,edges, faces and organic curves. For example, using the "Face Extrude Mode" on a cube gives you only a curved "pimple" and not an option like the "Push-pull" tool would do on a similar cube giving me what I would have hoped to be another 5 flat faces, from which you could push-pull again in another direction, etc, etc.

1) That you have right, we already have planned to allow conversion of existing 3D geometry (probably only solids) INTO subdivisions in future versions however, as that makes it faster than starting from scratch with a primitive.

2) Thats my fault, apologies, I had hoped to have the training videos ready in time for launch, but only finished Project Sharing, Renderworks and the New Feature videos in time. The Subdivision training videos are coming, but for now I'll try to explain it:

See the second mode in the Edit Subdiv tool? Crease mode? That lets you control whether a crease occurs at points and edges. "Creases" basically mean that the geometry will adhere to the subdividion cage point, face or edge, rather than the organic sort of flowing curve pimple shape you describe:

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/h8n7b7X.png[/img]

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/laIzmlg.png[/img]

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes some getting used to, there isn't another UI element even close to this in Vectorworks currently. Try to keep in mind that you have control of the edges, points AND faces when you're controlling the crease setting, and you can get an array of various shapes and forms manipulating them.

Jim, thanks for the list of new features at the top. From the New Features/Why Upgrade sections of the website, though, it doesn't look like there's much available for Fundamentals users...and the Why Upgrade site actually promotes a bunch of features which were new prior to 2016, even when I set my Current Version to 2015.

For me to find out what's actually new for us, is there anything more detailed than the matrix in the back of the What's New brochure?

That page isnt working properly yet, it seems to show more features the more recent the version is set, give that until the end of the day for the web team to get it sorted.

This lists absolutely everything, but doesn't list whats specifically new for Fundamentals in just 2016:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2016/eng/Commands_Tools2016.pdf

I do not know of a more specific list, apologies.

From the Vectorworks.net page on 2016, here's a list of the new 2016 features in Fundamentals:

• Subdivision Surfaces
  • OBJ and STL File Import
  • Improved DWG Sheet Layer Export
  • Improved Vectorworks to DWG Mapping
  • New Migration Manager
  • New Vectorworks Installation System
  • Improved Content Installation Manager
  • Improved Resource Thumbnail List
  • Improved Eyedropper and Select Similar tool
  • Mac OS X Palette Docking

Ya I'm seeing what it can do. A bit backwords though (but that is my way of thinking how it should be done.)

I essentially need to "face extrude" first, creating the goose egg and then use the crease tool to sharpen those curved edges.

Architecture is not always about free flowing, organic shapes but of hard lines/edges.

The subdivision tool in essence is great in that your modeling something using a single solid and that is what I initially was drawn too. But the way it does work may not make me use it first to model various objects. Will take getting use to.

No apologies necessary Jim for not having a video out first thing upon the 2016 release. I can understand all the work that is needed to launch a product. You're doing a great job answering all our questions and addressing our concerns and even grievances.

From the Vectorworks.net page on 2016, here's a list of the new 2016 features in Fundamentals:

• Subdivision Surfaces
  • OBJ and STL File Import
  • Improved DWG Sheet Layer Export
  • Improved Vectorworks to DWG Mapping
  • New Migration Manager
  • New Vectorworks Installation System
  • Improved Content Installation Manager
  • Improved Resource Thumbnail List
  • Improved Eyedropper and Select Similar tool
  • Mac OS X Palette Docking

Thank you!

Thanks, Jim & Tim. It seems that the What's New brochure is as close as I'm going to get to a comprehensive feature matrix. As long as the tools we use intensively haven't been broken and stability is decent, that'll do for now. Time to start testing.

By the way, I appreciate the migration manager...not having to recreate our customized workspace and only having to tweak a few settings options is great.

I am able to open the guides on Edge currently, are you not?

We generally recommend Chrome, Firefox or Safari for most of our web resources however, IE has a plethora of problems that can be avoided with the other browsers.

Yes I am, but it's just that its not officially supported. I know out of own experience (I am a FE developer/designer) that IE9 really has so much problems, but from IE10 it's really working....

Yes I am, but it's just that its not officially supported. I know out of own experience (I am a FE developer/designer) that IE9 really has so much problems, but from IE10 it's really working....

Thats mostly a warning to avoid issues preemptively. Its mainly IE 9 back to IE 7 that we couldn't guarantee, but a lot of the time if a user is using IE it can be more difficult to explain the versions and which ones they can use on which version of windows, than it is to simply have them use an alternate browser.

These concerns were mostly for the offline version of the guides which ships on DVDs however that use integrated video wrappers, since the live online versions just use youtube directly and most users have gotten youtube working on their machines these days.

Edited by JimW

I was wrong before, the button on the left of the View bar (which will only show when you're in a Project file) is to Refresh content from the Project file into the Working file, not Save and Commit. I corrected the post, but you likely saw my answer before I altered it.

Ah. Thank you.

Question about Project Sharing and file size.

One of the reasons we break up a project into multiple files is to keep file size down. We have machines of various capabilities and ages, and we and sometimes these files can get a little cumbersome.

I though file sharing would eliminate this, but now that I am playing around with it - I am not sure - it seems as if your local machine will have to handle the whole file, but just does not have write permission on all layers. Is this correct? Is there some built-in resource management? If I am only working on 1 layer - does my machine still have to handle the entire model?