Vectorworks 2016 is here, ask us anything!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That lets you log in to Vectorworks Cloud Services (Which you'll have if you have Service Select")

More info on it here:

It used to be a separate plugin but now its built in. The login server however is being worked on currently, it may be a few hours before its stable, the Cloud team is all over it at the moment.

That lets you log in to Vectorworks Cloud Services (Which you'll have if you have Service Select")

More info on it here:

It used to be a separate plugin but now its built in. The login server however is being worked on currently, it may be a few hours before its stable, the Cloud team is all over it at the moment.

No breakaway. I think mainly it was to reinforce that we are a separate company. Under the old naming, so many users though that we and MAXON and Allplan etc were all being run by the same people, which hasn't ever truly been the case.

EDIT: Some more eloquent words on it in the middle of this interview with Sean Flaherty, our CEO: http://architosh.com/2015/09/scripting-the-future-vectorworks-ceo-talks-marionette-design-summit-and-future-direction/

Edited by JimW

Playing with marionette, fun to do!

Looking forward to some tutorials. Now only made an extrude of a circle, yeah!

Some comments/wishes:

- make the nodes searchable

- ability to drag and drop from the drop down menu

- when hovering over the node in the drop down menu the description of what the node can do would be very handy (the same as under the oip-button)

- separate palette for marionette that you can leave open

- ability to delete only the connected lines and not the attached node

- ability to change the name of the node on the design layer as well as in the oip

Sorry Jim.... really happy with all the things that are able and new and shinny!

Hi all,

Ironically, I can't get Palette Docking to work in a custom workspace. It works fine - I'm I'm really looking forward to it!! - in the stock workspaces, but I've now tried two custom ones,a nd neither seem to work. I've added the menu option to my workspaces in the workspace editor, but they just don't appear in the menu after I've saved. I've attached to screen shots to show what I mean.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!!

Thank you for link

Great, for that was simplified:

Creating and Editing Nodes

By default, the Marionette tool provides a wide variety of nodes that are ready for use. Creating custom nodes is possible through editing a pre-existing node and changing the script; however, this requires a familiarity with Python and VectorScript, and is not recommended for users unfamiliar with scripting.

I mean - not only c++(capi)

Edited by Ilay

They should already be there, however all of our web resources are being absolutely bombarded at the moment. But you can also find the videos on our Youtube channel, which will be unaffected by our high traffic:

The link should take you directly to the New Feature video playlist.

Lovely. More bling, less stability. here we come.... and by the way Mac Pro,64 mb of RAM and an apple 27" display. no multiple monitors. so you can't blame lack of stability on that.

Crashed again today simply rendering a camera view viewport in a simple file.

if you're (the company not you) going to continue to add bling, the least that could be done is a Save system not unlike Quickbooks that saves for every command so that we 1) don't have to stop while it backs up and 2) save incessantly because you know you're going to lose a bunch of work (+ fee).

You can do that if you like, Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Autosave, then select "Operations" instead of "Minutes" and set it to 1 or however many operations you'd like to save it between.

But yes, stability was a focus of 2016, however those are behind the scenes and not included on the list since theyre a little more technical/intangible until you use it.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear someone is paying attention up the food chain (wrt stability). And just to be clear- I appreciate your candor and willingness to put us with the often frustrated, irritable likes of us users. I've never meant to direct anything at you personally. I suppose its the shoot the messenger syndrome. Thanks for all that you do and keep up the good work...

-J

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear someone is paying attention up the food chain (wrt stability). And just to be clear- I appreciate your candor and willingness to put us with the often frustrated, irritable likes of us users. I've never meant to direct anything at you personally. I suppose its the shoot the messenger syndrome. Thanks for all that you do and keep up the good work...

-J

Thank you, but it really is completely understandable, though I genuinely appreciate you saying so. Vectorworks is a huge part of many people's work and lives, if there's something within it that needs to be upgraded or changes it can drive you nuts, daily. Your concerns are completely legitimate, I just provide info where I can and then make sure all the feedback gets where it needs to go.

Also I am bulletproof.

Kinda disappointed in the Edit Subdivision tool. :o

1. You need to use a subdivision primitive (different location, different primitive).

2. This appears to be strictly organic in nature. I was hoping it was going to both sharp lines,edges, faces and organic curves. For example, using the "Face Extrude Mode" on a cube gives you only a curved "pimple" and not an option like the "Push-pull" tool would do on a similar cube giving me what I would have hoped to be another 5 flat faces, from which you could push-pull again in another direction, etc, etc.

Am I missing something? Other 3D programs out there do both. Some you do the smoothing after your pulled, bent, tapered etc.

This is what I had hoped the subdivision tool would do but it looks like it's not.

Edited by Markvl