network iMacs ?

To make a long story short, I now find myself the owner of 2 iMacs, they are both 27" i7 processor. One is late 2009 and the other is 2014. Is there some way I can network them together in order to speed up VW 2015 rendering times ? If you can point me to a good reference I would appreciate it.

I've looked, but can't find much. Is it even possible?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately no, not within Vectorworks directly.

Cloud Services can't use your machines liked together specifically, but spins up a powerful virtual machine to render your file and lets you proceed without using your local resources, so you can work on other things.

Bas is right, Renderworks does not have the option for distributed rendering or render farms.

Your best option is to get a standalone rendering engine that allows for distributed rendering/render farms, though I don't know if that is available on Macs (there are some programs on Windows that allow for this). Or use Cinema 4D and teamrender.

Edited by Art V
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I've been experimenting with using LuxRender's (An open source, free rendering engine) Network Rendering in conjunction with Vectorworks. It would still involve an export, but I've been trying on and off to find a decent workflow that wont require completely re-learning a new rendering system so that what you have set up in Vectorworks just needs a little tweaking before LuxRender goes at it. Unfortunately, the closest native option (C4D) export plugin is too old to use with the latest version from MAXON.

Experimenting on it between... dozens of other things. Time just slips and slips.