Gaming Engine

AlanW

Question

It would be great to have the capability to export our 3d Models so that a Client can view them as if in a game.

I have used a gaming program called Unity 3D to place a model into and then export the file in a .exe file and the Client is able to walk around simply by using the mouse and the W,A,S,D keys.

I notice Autodesk and 3D max have teamed up to produce "Stingray" which as understand has this capability.

Currently there is no way to allow the Client to walk around the design without Vectorworks. The viewer does not support renderworks and wont show materials and nomad cannot be shown to a Client without providing them access to your account as you can't set a temporary access.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

8 answers to this question

Normally I would do this with a 3D PDF.

Clients learned very fast how to control Layer Visibility and to switch back

to a Camera View if they got lost in walkthrough mode.

Plus every Windows user hast Acrobat Reader and accepts PDF files as save.

Don't know if 3D PDF will really find its way into VW soon but it was recognized

as a wish.

But nothing against an additional direct export option to Unity,

as long as this does not hold NNA from improving/correcting the current

import/export options, especially FBX and C4D.

++1

It should not require the installation of any software or plugin and it should also run on mobile devices. I do not feel comfortable asking a client to install any piece of software to view my file, I just want to be able to send them a URL.

Here's a link to a pretty cool real-time visualization of an apartment that uses WebGL, it works perfectly on my relatively slow iPad (3rd gen):

Shapespark : Bulwarowa Street Apartment

Here is the outside forum thread where I found that demo link:

cgarchitect : WebGL-based Interior Visualization Oculus Support

Note to Nemetschek: I believe that Python can use the Three.js 3D library and export to WebGL.

It would be great to have the capability to export our 3d Models so that a Client can view them as if in a game.

I have used a gaming program called Unity 3D to place a model into and then export the file in a .exe file and the Client is able to walk around simply by using the mouse and the W,A,S,D keys.

For corporate clients their company's IT policies may prohibit the use of .exe files that are not on an approved applications list, so 3D PDF would be my preferred way of distribution as that is pretty much platform independent as well compared to .exe files.