El Capitan

fabrica

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few days ago after updating to SP1, I installed El Capitan.

VW 20016 SP1 & 2015 crash upon attempted open. I can launch VW2016 in a clean relatively new User. Unfortunately, operating VW in a new, clean user is not an option for my workflow. Accordingly, I am about to downgrade my IOS to Yosemite via a Time Machine BU.

I'll wait till Apple or some one states that this issue has been resolved before I go back to El Capitan.

BTW, there is no mention of this problem on the upgrade/issues web site. Please warn people of this potential big problem.

Yesterday I had a long Chat with Juan Almansa, Director of Tech Support. He pretended that this problem is very rare and that users should get in the habit of periodically creating a new clean user and doing a clean os install. To me, this is the typical tech line that I've received from techs for umpteen years. I find these solutions not a solution but a huge chase down a rabbit hole of time. Time to identify and back up to a different location resources like fonts, printers, and then there's all the serial numbers and defaults to other apps that get ripped, etc....

So, supposedly this is an Apple created problem vs a VW issue. Hopefully, there will be a fix by someone soon!!!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

VW 20016 SP1 & 2015 crash upon attempted open. I can launch VW2016 in a clean relatively new User. Unfortunately, operating VW in a new, clean user is not an option for my workflow. Accordingly, I am about to downgrade my IOS to Yosemite via a Time Machine BU.

I'll wait till Apple or some one states that this issue has been resolved before I go back to El Capitan.

BTW, there is no mention of this problem on the upgrade/issues web site. Please warn people of this potential big problem.

Yesterday I had a long Chat with Juan Almansa, Director of Tech Support. He pretended that this problem is very rare and that users should get in the habit of periodically creating a new clean user and doing a clean os install. To me, this is the typical tech line that I've received from techs for umpteen years. I find these solutions not a solution but a huge chase down a rabbit hole of time. Time to identify and back up to a different location resources like fonts, printers, and then there's all the serial numbers and defaults to other apps that get ripped, etc....

So, supposedly this is an Apple created problem vs a VW issue. Hopefully, there will be a fix by someone soon!!!

No pretending about it. It has affected perhaps 15% of our (US) Mac user base and thats about 5-8% of total (US) users, so its relatively rare. His reply was entirely accurate and wasn't a line of any kind. The reason you receive this reply from tech support is because it is pretty much guaranteed to work if the issue is with the software itself.

I've had a few early reports that user accounts that were not functioning under 10.11.0 have now resumed functioning on 10.11.1, but this has not been confirmed internally yet. I was not able to replicate the issue personally on my Macs here or I would confirm it myself.

any news about a service pack for 2015 to get compatibilty with el capitan?

2015s final service pack has been delayed slightly, I suspect this is primarily to bring 10.11 support to it, but I haven't not heard the official word yet.

However, for the last 5 versions or so the final service pack has been used to maximize compatibility/extend the life expectancy of the previous year's version as much as possible, I would expect us to do the same this year.

^ I'm excited to see the much touted 'Metal' in action but suspect that the faster Rendering they describe mainly refers to rendering pixels on the screen rather than the 3d Rendering we know and ... love?

No, 3D Rendering in RW/C4D so far is CPU only.

But it may accelerate your View Speed when implemented.

It may replace OpenGL similar to DirectX on Windows.

^ This is my understanding of it as well.

Just to throw my 2¢ in, I upgraded to EC, after several other articles and fora declared it a winner, then checked here. Some users said they'd no problems with EC/VWX2015 or 2016, so I proceeded, with near disastrous results. The new user account did solve the issue for 2015 & 2016, but along with that, the commensurate re-do on all my other high end softwares has been irritating. It occasionally requires having to change permissions on a huge amount of data on external drives so it can be read/write by the new account.

All that was driven by caustics lust, as well as the delicious discovery of the inclusion of Ambient Occlusion.

I will endeavor not to be so foolhardy in future.

El Capitan Update 1 is not only out, but it now FINALLY runs Vectorworks, too!

It is a long and lengthy update process via App Store, but afterward I found it no longer locked out my Vectorworks 2015 and 2016. The release notes mentioned it fixed the problem running MS Office and Outlook, so I suppose Vw was included in that item.

The only thing not running for me now is Default Folder. The developer says he is working on a new release in late October, so I might just wait and go without DF for awhile.

Edited by Bob-H

my el capitan update freezes completely, short before the login screen, no matter if i repair it or install a-new with time machine backup (there's already el cap).

if i don't find any workaround, i'd have to wait for the patch 2. fortunately it's not my only computer, but one of the older ones (mid 2010).

UPDATE: Ater restoring my 10.11 El Capitan via TimeMachine back to Yosemite, where everything worked fine, I then re-installed El Capitan from Yosemite with the new 10.11.1 update. After what took hours, the update did a much cleaner installation of El Capitan. For example, on my previous attempt with 10.11, the finder window sidebar customizations were gone. With this install, the sidebar customizations from Yosemite were carried through to El Capitan. I'm pleased to report that VW 2016 now will launch. YAY! So, this does look like the problems were Apple's doings and VW as well as Microsoft were victims....

No pretending about it. It has affected perhaps 15% of our (US) Mac user base and thats about 5-8% of total (US) users, so its relatively rare. His reply was entirely accurate and wasn't a line of any kind. The reason you receive this reply from tech support is because it is pretty much guaranteed to work if the issue is with the software itself.

I've had a few early reports that user accounts that were not functioning under 10.11.0 have now resumed functioning on 10.11.1, but this has not been confirmed internally yet. I was not able to replicate the issue personally on my Macs here or I would confirm it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem...I would recommend to anyone who wants EC that they back up all new/updated files daily as I had to restore to OSX 10.5.5.

Better still don't get it until it is stabilised.

There was nothing that would restore EC to a usable state.

I tried every bit of advice and start up procedure and not one thing would help with a beach-balling freeze at login.

The thirst for newness must be suppressed...

Never again. This is my 3rd time losing 2+ days work due to Apples new operating systems crashing...

I am bowing out as an early adopter and becoming an "If it aint broke" guy.

[2 cents finishes here]

I upgraded to El Capitan and the latest update means that neither 2015 or 2016 work properly. I have to login as a new user to get it to partly work. There is no right click available.

I was told other users have other issues and that SP2 would resolve these.

Uninstalling and reinstalling made no odds at all :-(

I upgraded to El Capitan and the latest update means that neither 2015 or 2016 work properly. I have to login as a new user to get it to partly work. There is no right click available.

I was told other users have other issues and that SP2 would resolve these.

Uninstalling and reinstalling made no odds at all :-(

There might have been some miscommunication, I have heard that users upgrading their OS directly to 10.11.1 and some that have upgraded directly to 10.11.2 have seen improvement or no issues at all. However these reports are unconfirmed as of yet, but reports of issues after updating to El Capitan have lessened dramatically in Technical Support.

This is not something that is going to change in Vectorworks 2016 SP2, however, as far as I am able to determine, but in Apples updates rather.

I'm personally still using 10.10.5 ;)

Forgot to mention: For right-click, make sure you have enabled it. I think it is still disabled by default on OS X for some weird reason. You can check this in Apple > System Preferences > Mouse. However if you can right click elsewhere, just not in Vectorworks, then it isn't the Mouse settings.

The only program effected by El Capitan is Vectorworks. I installed El Capitan when it was released and then 10.11.1, which is when all then trouble started.

I can right click as normal all the times elsewhere.

I am planning on buying a new iMac, which will obviously come with El Capitan. Will Vectorworks work on a brand new iMac with 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7?

Office was badly affected as well, among others:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/05/microsoft-office-2016-el-capitan-bugs/

Some workarounds for the more common ones can be found here:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/10/02/common-os-x-el-capitan-problems-fixes/

I have not heard reports of such issues from any users with new, clean installations of El Capitan, which a new Mac would have as long as you didnt attempt to migrate into it. All tests done here on clean OS X 10.11 went without an issue after the Vectorworks-specific bugs were fixed primarily in 2016 SP1 and were never as severe as the update problems from users that did a migrated OS upgrade even before 2016 SP1.

Edited by JimW

I see that 10.11.2 is still a beta version. Does that mean I should wait until it is a proper release before trying that update. I don't want anymore trouble than I have at present.

I did go through all my issues with Computers Unlimited here in the UK, so hopefully you are aware of the issues that I have experienced. Strange that only Vectorworks is effected.

If I don't migrate then I need to redo all my saved templates, anything else?

1Mac 27 "

Processor:2.8Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

I would wait for a proper release, yes. Honestly, may even want to wait until you see multiple all-clear reports from other users. Vectorworks might have been the only issue you ran into personally, but the issues were widespread across multiple software packages. (This is important for me to repeat and clarify so that users don't waste time poking at Vectorworks settings when a resolution can not be found there.)

You should try launching and using Vectorworks on the new OS before you bring anything over from the older install, to verify everything is working first, then re-establish your preferences once you're confident everything is in order. If the problems resurface after bringing the user folder etc back into the new install, then I'd recommend rebuilding from scratch manually, but thats not highly likely to be required.

This is how a you can manually back up preferences from one machine, the preferences could then be copied to the same Vectorworks version on another machine:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/885/Backing+Up+Vectorworks+Preferences

• 2 weeks later...