Purge Focus Points and Position Names

I've got a problem and it is driving me crazy. I worked in the same theatre a lot, and if I ever re-use a file, things start to get screwy with Focus Point and Position names. Even though all FPs have been deleted, if I duplicate the area it will always default to a number that is way out of sequence. In this case, 7, though the program also thinks that FP 11 is taken. I've had similar problems with Position names.

I just finished copying and pasting only the architectural information to a blank document, and then imported my symbol folders, and while the position names were reset, the FPs were not.

Is there any way to manually purge this data from a file?

thanks

Guest Frank Brault

Focus Points are named objects. Name strings are unique in the file. The name that is assigned appears in the Data pane of the Object Info palette. It's possible that some other objects have the name entered in the Data pane of the Object Info palette. You can find out if the is the issue by running the Tools->Custom Selection... menu command and fill out the Criterial Search dialog with the following values: Name is FP 11

hth,

I was so hoping that this would work, but unfortunately it did not.

I can place FPs manually in this file using #1-6, but if I try to duplicate #1 it won't go to #2 it skips all the way to #7.

Using the Custom Search tool, I get hits on "Name is 1" and "Name is 7" but not 2-6, so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

I seem to have overwritten the file with misbehaving Lighting Positions, but in that case the Lighting Positions were persistently incorrect. I'll try the Custom Search when I encounter it again.

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The object name must be unique. Check for the name inside of a symbol, a group objects, viewports etc. The custom selection procedure will not be able to select certain types of resources because they are not placed in the document.

When you place focus points using the focus point tool it remembers the last number used in the dialog and will increment that number.

When you are duplicating focus points it will ill increment the focus point name of the one you are duplicating till it finds an available name.

I tested in a simple document and it works correctly for me.

• 6 months later...