Gutter for Roof object

VincentCuclair

Question

Please introduce an option for a Gutter in Roof Objects.

I usually use the Fascia to simulate a gutter however, if this function already exists, either enhance the fascia so that it can be used as a gutter or (preferably) add a new option especially for gutters.

If implemented what we need is:

1 options for vertical and horizontal offset

2 options for different gutter profiles

23 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would these profiles be symbols ideally, similar to the request for symbol profiles being made usable in Extrude Along Path objects?

I would think there would be a standard set of gutter profiles and that a user would not customize them heavily on a regular basis, just build up their library of profiles and just add new ones occasionally as needed.

Yes - I think they could be symbols, as long as it would be possible to automatically cap the open ends of the gutter.

When I have used EAPs to create gutters, you have to manually 'cap' the ends of the gutter by putting a closed poly version of the EAP profile at each end of the EAP. Then you group the EAP and the caps so they don't get lost. If you change the gutter profile / size then you have to manually redo the caps.

SteelSelect has some gutter profiles in VW format that would be a good starting point.

SteelSelect CAD Library : Vectorworks Format

Edited by rDesign
Would these profiles be symbols ideally, similar to the request for symbol profiles being made usable in Extrude Along Path objects?

I would think there would be a standard set of gutter profiles and that a user would not customize them heavily on a regular basis, just build up their library of profiles and just add new ones occasionally as needed.

Spot on Jim, and as Tim pointed out, it would be good with a solution for end capping (perhaps this also could be a symbol.)

And if we really want to get into things perhaps a solution for downspouts could be added too ;) something like this:

https://andreafacchinello.wordpress.com/uno/downspouts-free/

http://www.vectorworks.net/community/partner-products/product/downspouts

Edited by Vincent C

Combining with this:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=159936

and submitting request now.

EDIT: Actually, I found a request from quite awhile ago where Katie Roberts (Who trained me in 2006!) had submitted it:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=88059

but it was a little limited in its scope since it was part of a mega list. I've fleshed it out more with the details provided in this thread and given it a bump to get it noticed.

Edited by JimW

Yeah theres a few of those from the old guard. Luckily this has been addressed and that wont happen again. Even once I'm gone (2045? When am I able to retire again? Gah.) my name would still appear, even once we upgrade the forums, which WILL happen, everything will be preserved including users that no longer 'exist'.

Hi, have gutters progressed in VW since this thread?

Does anyone have advice on best BIM practice for making gutters?

I was thinking to draw gutter profile as a polygon, and extrude along path.

Convert to auto-hybrid to read in 2D.

Is there any reason I should use polygon, 3d polygon or nurbs for the profile or path?

Also an important part of any gutter tool would be:

profile & path obviously

z height (especially for drawing existing conditions - surveyors often provide top or bottom of gutter heights)

downpipe profiles & locations

degrees fall

It would be cool to be able to do rainwater calculations with a comprehensive gutter tool!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Framing members with a custom Profile work are my personnel preference. Easier to modify after the fact. 

Just had a look at that.  Has some merit but you can only draw one segment at a time and then have to mitre the ends for the corners.

You can set the mitres ahead of time and works fine for corners all turning in the same direction.  When a corner changes direction you'll have to go back after you've drawn your segments

and correct for the opposite direction.  Modifying length is easy.

ScreenHunter_52 Dec. 01 08.51.jpg

With extrude along a path I thought that the polygon you initially drew now stayed a polygon when you used "edit path"?  It still shows as a nurbs curve.  Was not a change made to this or is it still just a wishlist item?

Edited by Markvl
15 hours ago, Markvl said:

Just had a look at that.  Has some merit but you can only draw one segment at a time and then have to mitre the ends for the corners.

You can set the mitres ahead of time and works fine for corners all turning in the same direction.  When a corner changes direction you'll have to go back after you've drawn your segments

and correct for the opposite direction.  Modifying length is easy.

ScreenHunter_52 Dec. 01 08.51.jpg

With extrude along a path I thought that the polygon you initially drew now stayed a polygon when you used "edit path"?  It still shows as a nurbs curve.  Was not a change made to this or is it still just a wishlist item?

Certainly would be better if we had a tool similar to Handrails that made a group and calculated the mitres based on a 3D Path.