show wall lines at door - problem

Would anyone care to download the attached file with a few doors and a single wall, then stop me from pulling my hair out with this problem:

I'm working on an old file that has been updated and using VW 2015 sp4. I copied a wall and put it in a brand new file, as attached. Notice door A shows the wall lines. Notice doors 'B' do not. Pick any door B, and from the object info palate click on "settings" but don't do anything thereafter except pick 'cancel' in the settings dialog box. The door B will now show wall lines, just like door A. You can change it back without wall lines by using the eyedropper tool, (or 'un-do') but nothing else will remove the wall lines.

Please .... someone tell me why my door plug-in objects are automatically changing to show the wall lines as soon as I try to edit them ?

(PS: I've tried and tried and tried to fix this by changing the class "ceiling-main" or by changing the "show wall lines" setting in the O-I-P, but I just can't get it to work. A brand new file does not show this problem, but I really need to use my existing old file. A brand new door object, when placed in the old file, has the same problem. When I copy and paste the old walls into a new file, I still have the problem. There must be something in the old file that causes this ... but I sure can't tell what it is.)

Michael: thanks for the response .... but your solution didn't work for me (sadly). I'm hoping someone else will read this and confirm if your solution works for them or not. I suspect some type of corruption in the file that transfers with the door plug in object. (But I'm not qualified to know anything about software ;)

Roger, I can go into settings in all doors and Cancel and choose OK and nothing happens....all is well?!

Check these things:

1: restart VWs see if that helps

2: check the class settings in the Door settings

3: check that Draw Wall Lines is off in the OIP

4: check that the Threshold is off

5: check that the corresponding classes are actually turned off....

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
In door A

OIP > Settings…2D Visualization

the Lintel class is set to None. Switch that to Ceiling-Main like the B doors and all will be well.

This corrected the Door object here as well. Which service pack of 2015 are you currently using OP?

The latest can be found here, just in case:

http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/ServicePack.php?major=2015&servicepack=4

I appreciate all the responses and help, but ....

I tried it again .... same result as always. I've restarted and re-booted several times without affect. I'm using VW2015 version SP4. Here is the same file, after I tried to change the lintel class on two of the doors 'B'.

It seemed to me I might as well just re-draw the walls and doors on a new file, using a design layer viewport referenced to the original file (to use as a trace template). I started doing that, and my new doors are responding as one might expect ... the new file does not have the same problem, and I can manipulate the wall lines as I would expect. The mystery lives on ....

The long list of classes in the classes setting assigns classes (and, therefore graphic attributes) of the extrudes that make up the door (panel, stile, rail, jamb, etc.) All 3D

The 2D settings are just classes for the lines that interact with the walls in top/plan.

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

@michaelk: Gotcha - thanks for the explanation. I don't think I had noticed that the 'Door > Classes' tab was intended only for 3d graphic attribute classes.

It still seems like it would be less confusing (at least to me) if there was only one tab for setting the Door's 2D & 3D Class options, not on two separate tabs.

well I'll be dog gone .... Vincent C you were correct. I was changing the wrong Lintle class location. I sure wish I would have figured that out a week ago. Now it works. Thanks for the detailed help.

However ... the file that I attached to the previous posts came from another large building file. I went back to that original large file, and found that changing the lintle class under the "2D visualization" window worked as you said. But I'm still puzzled ... in that file, when I click on any door and choose "settings" in the OIP, then pick nothing but "cancel" the door changes to show the wall lines (are they the lintle lines ?) . It is as if picking "settings" automatically changes the lintle class from "ceiling-main" to be "none" unless I purposefully go into the settings and change the lintle class to be "ceiling-main". I'm still puzzled .. .but at least now I can make it work. Once again, thanks to all posters for your help.

And I also wonder, as does rDesign, why there are two locations for this class setting ?

No, it has something to do with class settings in new files, it happens a lot to me with the glass in windows and doors, I can work on several new files without issue and then once in a while the glass shows opaque instead of clear, all I then need to do is go into settings and out agian and the glass is clear. Or I change the glass class texture and it won't first show the changes until I go into settings and change the glass class to a different random class go out and go into settings again and change back to the glass class and then it accepts the new settings...strange but true......