two wall types, same wall

ElBee

Hi Folks!

I am doing a garage where the client wants the lower 24" of the wall to be 8" block with 2 inches rigid and parging on the outside, and the upper part of the wall to be 2x6 with ext. siding and int. drywall.

I know how to adjust heights/offsets for different materials in the wall assembly, but can't figure out how to do different wall types within one wall.

I tried doing two separate walls, one on top of the other, but then the doors only appeared in one of the two walls types.

Thank you for your guidance!

Lee

p.s. the 2x6 studs would align with the ext. edge of the block.

This is one of the shortcomings of the current Wall tool, as you cannot have vertically stacked wall components. Here's a few other threads that might help you with some work-arounds:

Plinth Walls

different facade material

Exterior walls with multiple finishes

One quoted solution from Pat Stanford in the second thread I linked:

Doors/windows/symbols can only be in one wall at a time. If you need multiple walls (stacked vertically) with objects that extend across them, the easiest way is to use the 3D Selection tool in an elevation view to put in "Wall Peaks", that will let you reshape the wall around objects extending from a different wall.

See my movie "Notch Walls Around Windows" at http://vectortasks.com/Movies/Movies.html for more information.

Pat

Lee this is on the wishlists.

Tim has given you the answers you need.

Another good example where you are essentially stacking walls is a garage. You have a main exterior wall and a foundation wall. The foundation walls very often are 6 inches above grade but the inner slab is not which means you need to recess the top of the foundation wall to receive the OH Door or even a side man door that are inserted in the main exterior wall. This is where Tim's quote from Pat fits in perfectly. Sometimes it's seeing the forest for the trees.

You may want to create two separate layers, one for the block portion of the wall and another for the stud portion.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey All,

I would say most definitely that you want to create two layers for the stacked walls, otherwise joining becomes an issue as one wall will try to join to the wall below - this is especially true for footings - just create a layer and adjust the layer settings to "Show, Snap Others" but don't include the "Modify" setting.

Believe me, stacked components are a long wished for item!

And for that garage door scenario, just add some nodes and stretch the top of the foundation wall down and around.

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner