Less clicking = faster drafting please.......

VincentCuclair

Question

25 answers to this question

I'm 1000% for less mouse clicking / travel distance in ALL aspects of Vw. There are way too many needless clicks / mousing around the screen.

Vincent C: were you intending this topic thread as a place for anyone to identify other areas that currently involve:

• unnecessary mouse clicks
  • excessive mouse travel distance
  • removing your hand from the mouse

Because if you were, I think that's a great idea-

Submitting requests now.

1) Add Solar Animations controls directly to the OIP

2) Add camera Fine Tune controls directly to the OIP

Any other specific areas where we have a pop-out dialog that users have to regularly access repeatedly where the extra clicks are adding up?

I don't use those but chances are the next year people will complain about to many parameters on the OIP ;)

Now we are at it, it would be nice if a property hover icon would display on top of an object, while right clicking it could show the OIP on that exact spot.

Now I need to select an object, move my mouse to the oip ( I have a 27" screen can you imagine how far it is placed) and move back.

I want to edit properties at the spot, not 25 km away from the object...

Edited by hippothamus
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There has been talk of a more advanced type of floating data bar that would have more controls on it, as well as a segmented collapsible OIP, since often on objects like Windows or Doors, the OIP can get EXTREMELY long and collapsible menus would be more ideal than scrolling, but leaving them all expanded would simply retain the older behavior if users preferred to scroll than to collapse sections like hierarchical classes etc.

... as well as a segmented collapsible OIP, since often on objects like Windows or Doors, the OIP can get EXTREMELY long and collapsible menus would be more ideal than scrolling,

Perhaps adding an option for ribbons would be nice as well, I think it would be easier to jump to the correct 'section' in doors/windows/stairs/spaces etc. by selecting the correct ribbon.

Even nicer would be if a little dialog would appear next to the cursor when hovering a door/window etc with these sections to click on. This would mean only one click to go to the correct section in the OIP to edit!

There has been talk of a more advanced type of floating data bar that would have more controls on it, as well as a segmented collapsible OIP, since often on objects like Windows or Doors, the OIP can get EXTREMELY long and collapsible menus would be more ideal than scrolling, but leaving them all expanded would simply retain the older behavior if users preferred to scroll than to collapse sections like hierarchical classes etc.

YESSSS!!!!

I think BOTH the advanced floating data bar and Collapsible tabs on the OIP would be great solutions that provide better usability yet maintain the current behavior. Maybe the advanced floating data bar could be turned off for users you don't want that functionality.

Just watched the 2016 Marionette teaser video again, and I was wishing that you could input data right on each node instead of having to mouse all the way over to the OIP.

... as well as a segmented collapsible OIP, since often on objects like Windows or Doors, the OIP can get EXTREMELY long and collapsible menus would be more ideal than scrolling,

Perhaps adding an option for ribbons would be nice as well, I think it would be easier to jump to the correct 'section' in doors/windows/stairs/spaces etc. by selecting the correct ribbon.

Even nicer would be if a little dialog would appear next to the cursor when hovering a door/window etc with these sections to click on. This would mean only one click to go to the correct section in the OIP to edit!

Yes, make it more like a ribbon, then you can choose the tab more easily and see all the tabs possible. It could be done like you see in office that you have your normal ribbon sections and then when a certain object is selected, the context related sections are added to edit that object.

And better yet, all options/settings that can be set by dragging or by visually set it on the object could be gone from the palette!

Edited by Dieter @ DWorks

To Windows and Door Settings in OIP I have to mention that I don't

see or recognize them very well - as they are now.

Font is small, each row looks same.

The given Space is very limited.

(I "dock" OIP+NAVI+RBrower over each other)

So maybe it should be a tabbed layout for those 3 over the whole height.

Same for Ressource Browser,

Previews are much to small to recognize materials and I feel I lose much

more time than in other softwares browsers.

I vote for a tabbed browser layout to be able to change from the fifth Symbol

subfolder to my renderstyle in 2 clicks.

YESSSS!!!!

I think BOTH the advanced floating data bar and Collapsible tabs on the OIP would be great solutions that provide better usability yet maintain the current behavior. Maybe the advanced floating data bar could be turned off for users you don't want that functionality.

Plus a shortcut key to open them all at once in the OIP and to collapse all in the OIP but the active tab.