Surface Array - Brains Trust Help!

Hi All,

Need the help of the brains trust.

Here's the scenario I've been trying to solve:

Cone: 5000mm Radius - 25000mm High.

On the surface of this cone are 200mm Diameter discs (circles) with a depth of 7mm. Each of these are spaced ~230mm apart both around the structure and up it.

Surface array can generate the outside, but it is flawed in the fact that it does not retain the circular disc and instead it squashes/elongates the discs into an oval shape.

Is there a method which will distribute the shapes evenly up the whole structure without overlapping?

I'm currently attempting a linear array of circular NURBS curves with a descending size arrangement and Z displacement and then going to individually duplicate along a path, but there has to be a better way!

Save me Tom Cruise!

Hope you're all well.

J

There is probably more than 1 arrangement of disks which solves this, and depends on whether there are other parameters. Do you want the disks arranged in straight columns? or can disks be centered on a hex or pent grid? Are partial disks allowed eg along a seam?

Imagine starting near the top of the cone, placing columns of properly spaced disks. Find the highest location where 2 disks will fit the separation parameter. The bottom disks in each column may not fit whole on the cone. Try it starting 3 columns lower down on the top - produces different fit at bottom.

Is there a cone with slope such that each course accommodates consistent 230mm separation, no partial cones, and straight columns on the face of the cone? Doubtful.

Another way to look at this is to unfold the cone and place circles in 2d just to see what parameters best match desired result.

-B

Hi,

Refer to;

http://planet.vectorworks.net/2015/08/tech-roundup-august-2015/?utm_source=Planet+Vectorworks+Digest&utm_campaign=d342aa8bc1-Planet_Vectorworks_Digest_RSS_FEED_6_17_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_56c17d5317-d342aa8bc1-87198245

This came from the planet vectorworks.net monthly digest and showed the distribution of a fish shaped object across the surface of a bowl.

Seemed simple and the program seemed to distribute the items perfectly.

HTH

I see what you mean by the circles don't stay circles for long up the cone.

MMmmmmmmm

I did try creating the cone and disk, make the disk a symbol and then split the cone into contours (create Contours) so I end up with rings at the appropriate spacing up the cone, then create a repetitive unite and then convert the rings into the repetitive units.

You will need to slope the symbol to match the slope of the side of the cone. you need to convert the nurbs from the contours to polygons to create the repetitive unit.

Did a few rings and seemed to work ok.

Make sure you are in plan mode before creating the repetitive unit otherwise it becomes a roller coaster shape.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell