Changing side/direction of door swings?

Brooklyn

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone would actually monitor a topic from five years back.

I am working in 2020 and I seem to have the same problem - flipping. I can't see this option in OIP and anywhere else.

Door insertion is quite odd too. Only the grip is located left/ centre/ right, but the result is the same. Am I missing something here?

Guest Wes Gardner

@Michal Zarzecki here's a quick little silent movie - when you first position a door in a wall, you have the option after the first click to adjust the swing.  Once you click again and "set" the door, you can flip its position from the OIP.

Is this what you're after?

Wes

@Wes Gardner , thank you for this. Now I know where the problem is.

I am not creating the doors in a wall, but rather in a fence. Generally use it as a gate symbol, hower I actually parametrised it to really reflect teh design intent for the gate as far as I could.

So I don't have the opportunity to set the side/ swing nor do I have the flip button in the OIP, you see.

Well, if there is no other way, I need to resort to Mirror, I suppose.

I too would love to have the ability to add a fence gate. Right now the wall with door is the simplest method, which sure beats drawing a straight line & adding an open triangle to represent the gate. I'm currently using the wall tool with a thinner wall depth. Shouldn't there be a way to merge the functionality of the Railing fence tool with the Door Insertion option?  Fences allow you to customize the look of the frames, but without a gate the dog is going to leave the back yard! (What if you wanted to get a little crazy and add a window to a fence, like for a dog or kid to look through?)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, KarynT said:

I too would love to have the ability to add a fence gate. Right now the wall with door is the simplest method, which sure beats drawing a straight line & adding an open triangle to represent the gate. I'm currently using the wall tool with a thinner wall depth. Shouldn't there be a way to merge the functionality of the Railing fence tool with the Door Insertion option?  Fences allow you to customize the look of the frames, but without a gate the dog is going to leave the back yard! (What if you wanted to get a little crazy and add a window to a fence, like for a dog or kid to look through?)

I agree that we need a way to insert a gate and, perhaps, an opening into a fence.  However, Wall objects and Railing/Fence objects are very different objects with different requirements.  So, there is no easy way to simply merge functionality.  What we do need, is a way to define and place a Gate into a Railing/Fence object.  IMO, this should not have anything to do with Wall, Door, or Window objects.

In any case:  Yes, we need this.  🙂

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

What we do need, is a way to define and place a Gate into a Railing/Fence object.  IMO, this should not have anything to do with Wall, Door, or Window objects.

For the time being, I just used the door symbol in thin air, i.e. not associated with any wall. I simply needed to insert a dynamic door symbol for which I could define the width.

Any more landscape designer-friendly approach than using Door tool would be much welcome. 

I suppose a consultation exercise with landscape and garden designers would give some insight into the traditional design process and how VW can assist with that - rather than to hold back or require any walk arounds.

Kind regards.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
47 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

I just ran into this "door in a Fence" issue...

So is there no way to flip a Door (as opposed to a "door in wall" which has flip in the OIP)?

I drew a sacrificial wall

Placed a door that opens the correct direction

And then pulled it out of the wall to use as my gate door.

Pretty backwards work flow!

You can select it and use the "Flip Horizontal", "Flip Vertical" command, or Mirror tool.  Then rotate it as needed...

• Like 1