Please make the auto hybrid non destructive

grant_PD

Question

Undoing an autohybrid is fraught with danger. You are essentially throwing away one half of an hybrid symbol each time. If you ungroup it whilst in 2d mode, all of your 3d is gone.

What needs to happen is that the auto hybrid needs to give us back BOTH the 2d and 3d and just convert to a hybrid symbol.

For that matter, I would sacrifice the entire idea of an autohybrid OBJECT itself and just make it a menu command that does that function. Have it turn the object red or something when the 3d changes and the user has not updated the 2d, just like a viewport.

16 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I had been thinking on something similar to this. Would an options menu be useful, during the ungroup of a Auto Hybrid object?

Select Auto Hybrid > Ungroup

Choices:

1) Keep 2D Geometry Only

2) Keep 3D Geometry Only

3) Keep 2D and 3D Geometry (This would keep both but not combine them, they would be separate objects after this)

4) Convert 2D and 3D Geometry to a hybrid symbol (This would then prompt the user to name the symbol and set the insertion options)

I mainly propose this rather than forcing users to end up with a single hybrid object as in many cases, they want one, the other, or both.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

No no I meant this for when you trigger a regular Ungroup. Yeah we have enough commands as it is...

Since ungroup already checks the objects its ungrouping, rather than it just triggering the "Are you sure you want to ungroup high level objects?" it would provide this choice list instead for Auto Hybrids. There are a few other types of objects where choices after ungrouping might be useful as well.

I'm new to trying to use VW in a BIM-like way, and therefore to auto-hybrids, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Here's an auto-hybrid wishlist:

It would be great if they were easier to edit - more like a symbol edit.

The other geometry should appear greyed when you edit 2D or 3D so you can ensure they are lined up in top/plan.

I'd like the dialogue box to pop-up automatically so with not much clicking I can set layer, class and cut plane height (say if I'm making an auto hybrid out of a roof too tricky to model with the roof tools - a bullnose verandah roof for example).

I wish at least auto-hybrids would not automatically revert to the current class. As they are awkward to edit, I like to make them towards the end of making a model, and there may be a whole lot of them with different classes - non-standard roofs, gutters, parapet wall caps, bits of joinery, odd stairs etc.

I'd also like to be able to do a batch auto-hybrid, and be able to choose whether they are made as one or individual objects.

I suppose they'll be outmoded when top/plan type drawings are no longer used?

I wonder can this work properly yet with clip-cube?

Does anyone no longer use top/plan in architectural drawings?

Just trying to get my head around BIM workflow.

I had been thinking on something similar to this. Would an options menu be useful, during the ungroup of a Auto Hybrid object?

Choices:

1) Keep 2D Geometry Only

2) Keep 3D Geometry Only

3) Keep 2D and 3D Geometry (This would keep both but not combine them, they would be separate objects after this)

4) Convert 2D and 3D Geometry to a hybrid symbol (This would then prompt the user to name the symbol and set the insertion options)

I mainly propose this rather than forcing users to end up with a single hybrid object as in many cases, they want one, the other, or both.

+1000

An option to see the 3D while editing the 2D (and visa versa) would be amazing as well. All of this should apply to regular 2D/3D hybrids, not just Auto hybrids.

Edited by EAlexander
An option to see the 3D while editing the 2D (and visa versa) would be amazing as well. All of this should apply to regular 2D/3D hybrids, not just Auto hybrids.

I've been wanting this for symbols for the longest time. Admittedly I haven't taken the time to file a wishlist request because I have many thoughts about it and haven't yet endeavored to type them out. But generally yes - a way to see both 2D and 3D at the same time would make editing hybrid symbols a thousand times easier.

+1 for nondestructive AutoHybrids as well.

part of me still thinks though that the auto hybrid feature should actually be a function of the viewport, not the object. That way we could model as we wanted, and then only selected the feature when drafting up plates.

This is an amazing idea! Then it wouldn't bog down the document because it would only regenerate when the viewport regenerates. I think this should be seriously investigated.

Kevin

I would prefer the hybrid to remain part of the design layer a small I can see what I am drawing. Say a gutter EAP it hides what's below.

But should be an un hybrid check box. Currently it's easy to unhybrid an object by going edit hybrid and copying all and exit and paste, you have the original again. This should be an easy check box to create I would have thought.

On 2015-08-27 at 7:30 AM, JimW said:

Choices:

1) Keep 2D Geometry Only

2) Keep 3D Geometry Only

I still think Jim's option is the best. It should be a function of Ungroup since that matches the current UI. Same options for ungrouping Hybrid Symbols (except 4 of course).

KM

I think an AutoHybrid should automatically become a hybrid symbol.

Convert to group should always return both the 2d & 3d components

2d / 3d components should be visible when editing the symbol for Show Other Objects in Edit Modes

Show Other Objects in Edit Modes should have an additional setting: Current Object/ All Visible Objects

• Like 1