Conversion Resolution - Way Too Many Individual Controls

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would like to wish for two things -

- a more concise, clear, consistent way for setting conversion resolution (2d, 3d, Viewport, various rendering modes). Right now this information is all over the place and its easy to miss something.

- in the interim I would like a chart or some sort of documentation that details all of the options and what actually affects what.

Its based out of this list I posted before - https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196304#Post196304

It turns out that there is a caveat to this one -

Section Viewport>Advanced Properties>Display>3D Conversion Resolution - affects the geometry generated in a section viewport specifically

Where it doesn't necessarily affect all of the rendering modes of a Section Viewport, only some (OpenGL specifically).... I only learned this today after many years....

Kevin

11 answers to this question

+1

I still don't know how how to get renedered camera views saved as an

Image file (Tiff/JPEG/PSD/...) out of VW in a controlled and reliable way.

I still do Screenshots with an App from my rendered view window.

All High Res stuff from Modo or Cinema.

And to control 3D resolution for FBX or C4D exports, I think the only way

is to prerender a view with a suitable set RW Render Style ....

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Submitting request now.

I still don't know how how to get renedered camera views saved as an

Image file (Tiff/JPEG/PSD/...) out of VW in a controlled and reliable way.

I recently requested a right click-to-image function for Renderworks Cameras and Viewports, currently you have to use Marquee mode in Image Export manually which is cumbersome and can lead to misalignments.

Thanks for the request.

Export Image File has no render settings, so for rendering the cropped

Camera View I need to render it firts before exporting ?

So I need a Viewport for each Camera, but it will then render correctly

according to viewport setting, even when the current viewport is not

updated ?

And I need one extra Page per camera Viewport ?

Sized without border to not need marqee ?

I've been struggling with this as well, and have come up with the following workflow.

1. Create a custom page size in the macOS page dialog. Set paper to 19.20" x 10.80". You can use any imperial or metric page size. The physical size is not important. This is just a 16:9 ratio and with round numbers and a tidy multiplier. I tend to drop images into Keynote to present to clients, and 16:9 images work perfectly.

2. Create a sheet layer and select this custom 16:9 page size. If I set the sheet resolution to 100dpi, the result is a 1920 x 1080 (2K) image. If I set resolution to 200dpi, the result is 3840 x 2160 (4K) image.

3. Create a new camera on a design layer and link it to a viewport on a sheet layer. I set the camera quickly to approximate the view I want. I don't fuss with the camera on the design layer, because I'll fine tune it later via the sheet layer viewport.

4. On the sheet layer, fit the camera crop exactly to the 19.20" x 10.80" page boundary.

5. Double click viewport, select "Edit Camera", and fine tune the view. Click "Match Current View" before existing the viewport and returning to the sheet layer.

6. Render the image.

7. To export final render, (a) select "Export Image File...", (b) set export area to "Each Page as Separate Image", (c) set resolution to 100dpi or 200dpi, to get a 2K or 4K image, (d) confirm that pixel dimensions correspond to the preferred output resolution, in this case 1920 x 1080 or 3840 x 2160, (e) select format as PNG, JPG, or whatever, (f) and click Save. The result is a perfect 2K or 4K image. You can save individual images as described above, or batch process using the Publish command.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 5.53.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 5.53.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 5.53.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 5.53.29 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-23_at_6_07.12_PM.png.636855a0808aaa0b20654c7de899026e.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 6.12.52 PM.png

Edited by ThreeDot

^ nicely done !

I did this in the same way once in the past.

But honestly, it is just a bag of hurt.

I gave up and do this from C4D.

I do some cheap screenshots from VW only, if at all. Even from DLVP's.

Everywhere else it is so easy to save out some renders at a given pixel resolution.