Importing/Exporting Saved Views

Is there any way to transfer the saved views from one file to another? I've tried importing and exporting from the resource browser and get messages that saved views can't be imported or exported.

I use saved views to quickly turn sets of layers and classes on and off. This makes moving around a file much easier.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Bill

I don't think so.

This has puzzled me for a while. I'm pretty sure that a saved view is just a script that sets a view, layer and class visibility, and render state.

But you can't import or export them. You can't even move them to another script folder/palette.

I imagine this is because the saved views depend on having exactly the layer and class structure that it was created with. That's probably why transferring between documents isn't allowed.

If you always have the same layers and classes, it's probably (fairly) easily scriptable.

mk

Thanks, MK.

I was afraid that was the case. Seems ridiculous to me.

Most of my files have the same or very similar layer and class structures. It would be really helpful to be able to share saved views between files. It would also be useful to be able to export new or edited saved views to my default template.

Edited by billtheia

+++1

I have always wished for this as well: I am guessing that NV's recommended workflow would be to put all of your Saved Views in your Template file and always start from there.

And if the issue is that the destination file does not have matching Classes & Layers structure, then Vw should display a dialogue box stating "The Destination file does not have all of the required Classes and Layers used by this Saved View. Would you like to Automatically create them?"

• Like 1

If you export a script from one drawing and import it into a blank you get all the classes,design layers,sheet layers and viewports, but not any saved views.

Does this mean saved views are not a script?

If you go to the saved view and say edit script it appears blank.

Actually on further investigation when you export the script as a text file at the end are the saved views that I would think if you know scripting which I don't you could recreate them. (Maybe)

Edited by Alan Woodwell