Pocket Doors

Vectorhead

Question

I'm sure this is the limitations of the "Door Tool" and it can't be done easily, but I thought I would check to see if I was missing something. I need to create a pocket door that the two leafs slide into the same pocket, not a bi-part pocket door.

I don't see any options to create this. Will I need to make a custom symbol from a simple pocket door?

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Two comments: first, yes you will need to make some sort of custom door. Perhaps a simple line, in plan view, showing the division between the panels. Second, I can't recall ever seeing a door like you describe in real life. Can you show us an example, and explain why/how this sort of door would be useful?

Peter- attached is an example plan detail of a Milgard 3-panel pocket door where all the panels slide to one side:

Milgard Moving Glass Wall Systems

There are other companies that make similar products, Nanawall is one of the most well-known in the U.S.

These types of doors should be built into the standard Door PIO; These doors are installed all over SF Bay Area in homes, schools, restaurants, etc.

Aha. Yes I totally agree. Thanks for the clarification. Back to original question: To create one of these, first create a cased opening, then add two (or more) door panels, wrap the whole thing into a Symbol if desired. Creating the recess in wall is trickier, but because the only place it is critical to show it is in Plan View, you could probably just add a rectangle in the Annotations. Not perfect but more or less workable.

Peter & rDesign

I agree that this is common enough that it should be part of the Door IPO, maybe in 2016.

The moving glass wall is similar to what I'm talking about, but mine are wood doors. One reason for have two doors sliding to one direction is structural, that doors will not pocket both directions due to obstructions.

The last time I made a custom door for a multislide pocket door like this, I started with a standard bi-parting pocket door, converted it to a group so I could edit it and modified it to what I wanted before making it back into a 2d/3d symbol.

I wanted to show the door in both open & closed positions in 3D and because the '3D Open' settings don't work on Custom Doors, I duplicated the door panel objects; I assigned one set of the door panels to an 'Open' class, and the other to a 'Closed' class.

Then in the SLVP 3D renderings I could control the door being open or closed via the visible class settings.

If you had WinDoor (Australian/NewZealand Version)you can have a few cavity sliders in the one pocket.

Allows 9 doors in the dropdown menue.

Which would be great except that WinDoor is no longer available outside AUS & NZ; From their website:

WinDoor is now only available as an upgrade to existing WinDoor users residing outside Australia and New Zealand. New licenses are no longer available. To order an upgrade, please see the information below.