Mass planting in Landmark

Hi all

I have been using Vectorworks landmark for a few years and since the 2014 upgrade (I am using 2015 now) I have had huge difficulty creating landscape plans when mass planting and using over say 50 plant symbols in one go. Sometimes I need to indicate an area of a couple of hundred plants and the computer glitches. It locks up for sometimes over 10mins... it is still working on the command as I have waited once or twice and it does come right eventually! (The screen blanks out and says Vectorworks is not responding in the mean time) But if I ever amend that plant name or plant area it locks up again.

I could use the plant area tool but I need the graphic representation of the plant symbols for the clients plans.

I have tried getting rid of gradients, hatches and shadows as this seems to slow things down - but still no luck.

The computer I am using is 2 years old so it shouldn't be that affecting the speed ( I am assuming).

I am on Windows 8.1, Dell computer, Processor: Intel Core i7-477OS Ram: 8GB ... I am not sure if that is helpful.

Has this happened to anyone else? As I cannot find any info about it online.

Any suggestions/answers would be appreciated.

Also - further to the above...

Could someone do an experiment for me? And let me know your results.

SAVE ALL WORK FIRST

Open a new document

Select: Plant -108 (a green strappy looking one)

Amend the plant to be 1m spread at 1m spacings

Select the rectangular array mode and draw a 20m x 20m square box.

(400 plants)

And let me know if it locks up you computer?

It locked mine up for 5 minutes.

This way I will know if it is just me or not.

Thank you in advance.

I don't have Landmark so my response may be of no use - but - do all of these plant symbols have 3d mesh geometry?

If you go to Top View (not Top / Plan), do the symbols look like a 3d representation of that plant -or- two crossing planes forming an 'X'?

If they are truly 3d and not just an 'X', that would be a massive amount of 3d geometry and I would not be surprised that several hundred of these plant symbols would lock up your computer.

Just a thought-

Thank you Tim

I don't do any 3d modeling with the plants so that is indeed the case with some of them (now you point that out - thank you).

So at least that gives me a heads up with which ones in particular to avoid when mass planting.

It is not the case with the other symbols though.. so still not sure what that is about.

But greatly appreciate your feedback.

Melanie

• 7 months later...

Picking up on this thread: has anyone else got some tips on how to speed up the plant placement? I have stripped out any 3d info but still getting a lot of precessing time with masses or large groups of plants - particularly those with irregular edges.

Working on 2.5GHZ I7 Macbook with 16GB Ram on VW14

Thanks

Gabe

Gabe I have noticed a huge difference in lag time based on the complexity of the 2d symbol. The biggest effect seems to come with the colour fill, if its a gradient then it seems to push resources.

The image I attached shows three of my symbols the top being resource hungry the bottom being the least. I'm surprised that this is also seen when using the align leader lines tool.

Also watch the sketch outline settings, these add more complexity.

Edited by J. Wallace