Annoying "-" in the dimensions

minotto

Question

Maybe it only occurs with dimensions in VWs using a Mac computer.

I would like to be able to input dimensions without the "-" mark that occurs between the feet and inches as pictured below.

Also, it would be nice to be able to replace the comma used in metric dimensions with a decimal point.

2 answers to this question

I believe that the comma/decimal point setting is controlled by the Mac OS, not VW. Check under System Preferences and click the Advanced button at the bottom right. See what you system settings are for Grouping and Decimal. Any chance you have gotten your Mac set for another country than the US?

Fist, you can not enter dimensions with the dash, If you do, VW will treat it as a subtraction sign and do the math for you, so 4'-5" will turn into 3'-7" when it displays.

There is a semi complicated work around for the display if you really want have it show different, but it will be on a per DOCUMENT basis. If you work from templates then it should be OK.

Before you enter any dimensions into a drawing create and run a script with the single line:

SetPrefString(156,' ');

That is a single space between the single quotes. Pref 156 is the SubUnit Divider. If you need it for the Secondary Units, it is 206.

Note that this will not "fix" dimensions already placed in the drawing. That will take a slightly longer script that I don't have time to debug right now.