What the competition is doing

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The physical renderer form C4D is the one we use (well not for Sketch but the Renderworks renderings use it) in Vectorworks now.

The main thing I covet UI wise from ArchiCAD at the moment is their simplistic but clean Surface Painter:

Basically it provides a nice stopgap between whole-object/per-class texture mapping and full on UV mapping control.

I'm glad they're finally refreshing their UI as well, I hate when we are the last in line when it comes to making big changes, but them making this change will absolutely cast a spotlight on our much older interface and make arguing for resources being assigned to improve it much easier on my end.

We have the physical renderer?

I missed the subsurface scattering etc. in VW

Then the camera with F-Stop, ISO, Shutter speed .....

also (not just physical) GI, AO (not indirect lighting and our AO given the number of options available)

Maybe we are talking about different things here?

The Physical Renderer is an engine, the same one is in C4D but it has more features enabled than our version does. Part of this is licensing agreements (we have to wait a bit after they release new features before we can enable them, and some are only permitted to be enabled in C4D directly)

Renderworks Cameras now have F stop, ISO and shutter speed as well, unless I misunderstand the question?

If there are specific features IN the Physical Renderer in C4D that you would like to see in Renderworks, they should be requested line by line and I'll get them submitted.

thanks Jim

C4D has heaps more features which I why I did not consider them to be the same.

When I saw the Archicad video it seemed to have more of the features from C4D enabled so I guess they are ok with the licensing side which means that VW will be ok as well?

thanks again

thanks Jim

C4D has heaps more features which I why I did not consider them to be the same.

When I saw the Archicad video it seemed to have more of the features from C4D enabled so I guess they are ok with the licensing side which means that VW will be ok as well?

thanks again

I do not know if they have the EXACT same license agreement that we do, but generally yes if you see another software package that uses the Cinerender engine come up with a feature, odds are it would be possible for us as well. For instance, TeamRender is a concept/feature I have been lusting after that is limited only to MAXON's products for now.

Basically it provides a nice stopgap between whole-object/per-class texture mapping and full on UV mapping control.

lets hope we don't go this way as well. Its a sticking plaster on a broken leg.

I wouldn't mind it as a SHORT term solution, but agreed I do not want us to rest on laurels thinking that is a perfect solution to a very complex problem.

Oh no, agreed I don't think it would help the SubD problem at all, since they're an interpolated mesh. It would only be a stopgap for very flat planar things like doors and windows where we currently don't have per-face mapping control.

A painting tool would basically have to select every facet of a subdiv individually and thats... not a solution.

Oooo. I like it. Nice and clean. Now when I look at VW all I can see is the gradient tool pallet headers....

It would be great if you could make VW themes! Full CSS control - secondary marketplace! Let the people do your work for you! Icon packs, colors, and fonts. I would loose weeks tweaking....

I do not know if they have the EXACT same license agreement that we do, but generally yes if you see another software package that uses the Cinerender engine come up with a feature, odds are it would be possible for us as well. For instance, TeamRender is a concept/feature I have been lusting after that is limited only to MAXON's products for now.

If that means we are getting the 2 point perspective - I am excited.