A decent Human Figure tool

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

The human figure tool was added a few versions ago, and let's be honest, its terrible! I can't imagine that its actually being used for production/presentation drawings. Though if it was decent, it would be helpful for presentations. So please make this a decent tool that's fluent and easy to use, ow, and fast to update on changes, I prefer push/pull on the model to edit it. Otherwise, just abandon it!

20 answers to this question

I think of it more as the 'Hominid' tool as the figure looks more like a distant primate relative than a modern human. ;)

I have never used it - and frankly I think NV's engineering efforts would be better spent on other basic areas which need work (like the two different Stair tools) and the 'Human' tool should be relegated to the dustbin AKA the 'Legacy' tools. Right next to the 'Campanile' tool.

Edited by rDesign

I think of it more as the 'Hominid' tool as the figure looks more like a distant primate relative than a modern human. ;)

Perhaps your version is different (read: more pleasant looking) than the one in my Vectorworks version, as it looks more like C3PO after a botched cosmetic job than a hominid. :/

It would be nice to have a decent nondescript human figure to add a sense of proportion for when that is useful. Not everyone needs a full library of human figures of all shapes and sizes.

I would love the multiple stairs tool to be in Landmark as well because the current stairs tool in Landmark is a bit too limited for structures etc. and I need to use stacked single stairs to make it work.

I have never used it - and frankly I think NV's engineering efforts would be better spent on other basic areas which need work (like the multiple Stair tools) and the 'Human' tool should be relegated to the dustbin AKA the 'Legacy' tools. Right next to the 'Campanile' tool.

+1

Perhaps your version is different (read: more pleasant looking) than the one in my Vectorworks version, as it looks more like C3PO after a botched cosmetic job than a hominid. :/

It would be nice to have a decent nondescript human figure to add a sense of proportion for when that is useful. Not everyone needs a full library of human figures of all shapes and sizes.

I would love the multiple stairs tool to be in Landmark as well because the current stairs tool in Landmark is a bit too limited for structures etc. and I need to use stacked single stairs to make it work.

Ha! I hadn't thought of a disfigured C3PO, that's a pretty apt description. :D

As for my comment about the multiple stairs tools, I was not referring to a 'Multiple Stairs' tool. I was referring to the two separate stairs tools: the Stair Tool and the Custom Stair tool (which you have to add to your Workspace from the 'Legacy' toolset). It is included with Landmark so you just have to add it, if you haven't already. It can create a stair with multiple flights and landings like you described.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have never been a fan of this tool. Not only does it create relatively horrific looking "people" but the geometry it creates is so overly high poly that it can bring a file to a crawl. I always recommend that users use an image prop or something far less resource intensive and superior in appearance.

While this tool did fundamentally include a lot of logical features like control over clothes and position, it fell so short in what the models actually looked like as well as their performance graphics-wise that I would prefer to see it retired as well.

There was a character in a stop-animation show I watched when I was younger that this tool always reminded me of:

http://i.imgur.com/JSNhf.gif

As for my comment about the multiple stairs tools, I was not referring to a 'Multiple Stairs' tool. I was referring to the two separate stairs tools: the Stair Tool and the Custom Stair tool (which you have to add to your Workspace from the 'Legacy' toolset). It is included with Landmark so you just have to add it, if you haven't already. It can create a stair with multiple flights and landings like you described.

It's clear now what you were referring to, I used the custom stair tool for multiple flights, but when the levels vary from floor to floor it just doesn't work and I have to revert to creating stairs per level.

The Architecture module version for (custom) stairs does seem to work properly for this kind of purpose.

3d body scan software already exists, but the meshes they create are waaay too dense to be considered useful for any CAD software. They're intended more for video games and Hollywood big-budget visual effects. Scanable is one such company.

3D low-poly people (as shown in your image), in my opinion, are all that is needed for Vectorworks.

What are people using the current Human Figure tool for?

Yes, 3D low poly would be fine as long as it looks human and not like C3PO after a botched cosmetic surgery.

The single most use for the Human Figure Tool to me is to provide a sense of scale to the buildings/structures and/or factory/plant equipment.

For some instructional documentation it can be useful to have a (3D) human figure as well to conceptually show what we're trying to make clear.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I have tried to import 3D figures from Poser or DAZ 3D into VectorWorks, but the texture mapping is lost in the process. I am not sure why, because I successfully imported meshes with correct image maps from Archive 3D.

It is too bad. I hope the Vectorworks developers will spot the problem and fix it.

What file format? They'll need test files to check with.

Most of my personal testing has been with OBJ and SKP when it comes to texture mapping being maintained.

@Kaare - I replied to your similar question in this other thread:

Problematic Sketchup (SKP) and 3DS Files

@Kaare: When you exported the OBJ from DazStudio, did you select the 'Collect Maps' option on the 'OBJExportOptions' tab? See attached screen cap.

Texture mapping worked fine for me when I imported an OBJ from DazStudio into Vw2016.

See the other thread for the screen cap of the DazStudio OBJ options.