Door schedule help

Is there a method for drawing a door/frame/hardware from scratch (not using the plug in object) and then making it a symbol, and then attaching all the field data to it so that it can be reported in a Door Schedule ? I've been trying this, to no avail, and I think I just discovered that it isn't possible because there is no way to attach all the data fields. Among the problems: I can't generate a door ID tag that is part of a numerical sequence.

Can someone please confirm this ... or show me some training literature (or page number from the Help manual) that will be helpful ?

I have door leafs in an existing building that can not be easily modeled using the plug in. Also, I thought it is better for reducing file size, if you have multiple doors of the same type, to use a symbol instead of the plug in. However, I now see there are quite a few pre-made door leaf symbols. I'm coming to the conclusion that I would be better off if I give in, and use the plug-in door. I'm using an old VW file of an existing building, and it was only used for renderings, not construction documents. Thus, the old building did not previously contain a door schedule. Now I've got a bunch of door symbols that seem to be useless for integrating into a Door and door hardware schedule.

I've found I can add a door record to the old door symbols, but I can't figure out how to add the data fields to match those in the door plug-in, as displayed in the OIP.

It appears, if I use a custom leaf, that I'll have to make a different leaf symbol for each instance when the door is painted a different color on each side, and for different sized doors. Can you confirm this is true ?

The way to accomplish what you want is to use the Door tool to place a door and then in Settings (doing this from memory, so it may be slightly different), check the Use Symbol Geometry check box and choose the symbol you want to use for display purposed.

This way you have a door object with all the data fields (as long as you enter them correctly), but you also get the appearance that you want.

The other way would be to create a record with all the fields you want and then edit the criteria and formulas for the schedule to look for both doors and object with your door record. The formulas would be something like [psuedo code, this will not work as written here]

=if(Type=Door, Door.'First field', MyRecord.'Field that matched First Field')

Better to use the Use Symbol Geometry option.

Pat:

Thank you very much. I found the "Use Symbol Geometry" check box and it works for what I need it to do.

One bad thing I discovered: my old door symbols had hardware (that I drew myself) integrated into the symbol. Now, using your technique, the entire leaf thickness is controlled by the OIP "thickness" field. Thus, if I set the thickness to a normal 2", then the hardware ends up being about 1.5" thick and the leaf is about 1/2" thick. I figured the simple solution is to set the thickness to something like 5", then the leaf is more properly 2" thick in a 3D view. However, that causes the 2D symbol, when viewed in top/plan view, to show a door that is 5" thick. It seems I better learn to conform with using default hardware instead of inventing my own way of doing these things.

Someday I'll actually learn how to use this program correctly. ;)

PS: on some of my ID tags, the ID tag text shows up as a mirror image. I can not use the 'flip' setting, as that also changes the door swing. The "keep ID horizontal" check box in the OIP does not correct it. Any suggestions ?

I find the best way to do it is to use the native door/window plugins and then use those to create a symbol with, this way you have a clear list of the different types and any change you make to one type shows in all the instances in the file. (The only down sides are you need to have different types foannotation etc added in the symbol that is wider than the original hole object will make the hole in the wall larger.....)

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=42278&Number=210726#Post210726

Edited by Vincent C