Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

parameter OIP layout corrupt after adding new parameters

Pi_

Hi,

has anyone noticed that sometimes when you add parameters to an existing PIO that old instances of the PIO have a 'corrupt' layout in the OIP. (newly pasted instances have the correct layout)

The problem is mostly not situated around the position of the new parameter but elsewhere (old parameters 'disappear')

I noticed this before and I always tried to avoid making new parameters to an existing PIO but on this project I need to.

We have 12 vectorwork users all of them using this PIO, giving it a new name would mess up our workflow.

the PIO is event enabled and has custom buttons.

recompiling the script doesn't help

in attachment you'll find a picture of the OIP of an old and a new instance of the PIO after adding a new parameter (dropdown).

Did you create the shape pane yourself or is it the default pane ?

Does the OIP correct itself once you reset those "old" objects ? It is most likely fixed when you restart Vectorworks as well.

If made in vectorscript, try recompiling the code as well. This might reset the shape pane.

Edited by hippothamus
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do the parameters show correctly after resetting the old objects.

The existing objects need to be reset in order for the the instance to update the OIP correctly.

A lot of the parameter controls are based on an index number and when the record gets updated the index number changes but the PIO needs to reset so it can set the parameter options based on the new record list. Till this happens it's using the the old index to show/Hide/Enable/Disable parameters.

As you're changing parameters, make sure you have developer mode turned on in preferences. This causes VW to initialize the plug-in on every regeneration, which refreshes the UI if you have custom buttons. Otherwise the initialize even only runs once per Vectorworks session, and you have to quit and restart VW.

The PIO will generally need two triggers to reset the Obj Info UI -- one is to cause the init event to run by having the geometry refresh, like toggling a check box. Next you need to re-draw the OIP by de-selecting and then re-selecting the object.

This used to cause some potential instability, which I think got fixed in 2015. If you are still using 2014, I recommend deselecting, then right-clicking on a PIO and choosing the Properties option. This seems to be a much more stable refresh of the UI, though you will still need to touch a parameter for it to redraw.

Once you update the OIP UI for one object, you shouldn't need to do this again.

If you are opening documents with the old PIO on fresh sessions of VW, the OIP should be correct on the first selection.

HTH,

Josh