BP:Referencing Titleblock Symbols in different files, but same project

As a part of my workflow, I create several different files within a given project (i.e. planting, irrigation, hardscape, etc.). For the longest time I placed titleblocks as 2D symbols with linked text to custom records. I could reference these symbols in between project files and it would allow me to keep project specific information (i.e. project title, date, etc.) editing to one location, the mother file. I could customize each sheet with sheet specific information by modifying the records on each sheet.

I only recently became aware of the Titleblock feature as part of the Sheet Border tool and its inherent properties. I particularly like the link between the Sheet Number and Sheet Title of the titlebar and the Navigation Sheet Number and Sheet Title. This feature alone can reduce redundant mistakes by multiples. However, after some trial and error, I am noticing that although I can still reference the titleblock symbols in between drawings, the sheet border tool no longer references changes to the titleblock symbol in the mother file without performing some sort of update on each sheet’s titleblock. Also, I noticed that project information, when changed in the mother file, does not update in the referenced files.

My question, is there a best practice for referencing titleblock symbols as part of a Sheet Border that allows for changes in the titleblock and project information to only occur in one location, the mother file?

I recall you need to tick a check box in a few locations to carry the information to all titleblocks.

Also when you set up the titleblocks how you prefix the record info dictates if it carries to all the title block or just sheet specific. Look up creating custom title blocks. HTH

Thanks Alan. I have the different prefixes for sheet vs. project information correct I think (S_ vs P_). I also have the box checked under project information to carry that to all sheets; however the problem occurs between referenced titleblock symbols in other drawings for the same project. When I update project based information (i.e. client name, address, project name, date, etc.) in the mother file, and update the reference in the other files, the project based information does not change accordingly.

Any ideas if there other check boxes?

Thanks Alan. I have the different prefixes for sheet vs. project information correct I think (S_ vs P_). I also have the box checked under project information to carry that to all sheets; however the problem occurs between referenced titleblock symbols in other drawings for the same project. When I update project based information (i.e. client name, address, project name, date, etc.) in the mother file, and update the reference in the other files, the project based information does not change accordingly.

Any ideas if there other check boxes?

What you are trying to do is not possible. When changing the project based information, the records attached to the titleblock in the active drawing are updated.

Currently there is no way to link this new data into other files that have this titleblock symbol referenced.

It could be done however with 2 simple scripts. In the base document you need to alter your symbol's default record values to match the project settings. In any other document you have to do the opposite.

It could be done however with 2 simple scripts. In the base document you need to alter your symbol's default record values to match the project settings. In any other document you have to do the opposite.

Simple... hmmm....

btw, there is a plugin on its way for this: Managing project info all your project drawings with the added ability to fill in things automatically, like all scales used on the layer, a list of all viewports on the layer, ....