Transfer from Mac to PC,serial numbers.

Tom H

Question

Hello all. I have been using VW 2012 Fundamentals on a Mac without any problems. To enable the Mac to be upgraded from Mountain Lion to Yosemite I have now moved VW to a PC but have the warning pop up " No valid serial numbers have been found......" After entering the serial number it is not accepted. My serial number is for both Mac and PC. Have I made a basic error. Many thanks.

4 answers to this question

Sorry jimW. I am abandoning the Mac and installing on to a windows 7 PC. I have the original installation disc and the dongle lights up fine.

From the desktop icon vectorworks loads and gets as far as user preferences and a error pop up states, "No valid serial numbers have been found please enter one now. In order to run correctly Vectorworks must have one or more valid serial numbers registered. Please consult the records of your purchase to find your serial number". Ok.

Next pop up "Serial numbers. Vectorworks requires at least one valid serial number to run". Add.

Next pop up "Add new serial number." There's a space to enter the serial number below the text continues "There was an error in communicating with a local dongle. The letters o and i are not used in a serial number enter zeros and ones." Enter the serial no press Add.

The next pop up "The entered serial number is invalid. Please carefully re-enter the number."

Next pop up after 2 more attempts of entering the serial no, "Vectorworks has been unable to verify your serial number and will now quit. Please contact Nemetchek Vectorworks Incs technical support for assistance."

Thanks

Tom,

What may help is to right click on the Vectoworks icon and select "run as admin" or open the properties for the icon and select the "run as administrator" in one of the tabs.

The reason why the serial number will not register is that without admin rights it cannot pass on the serial number to the appropriate place in the system.

I've run into that problem in the past and running the program with admin rights for entering the serial number solved the issue. After that you no longer need the admin rights and can disable it again.