extrude along a path

mdarch

Question

I'd like to be able to use a 2D symbol for the profile of an extrude along a path object. This way if you have several based on the same profile, you'd only have to change the profile once (within the 2D symbol) to change all instances

For example handrails, spouting, you can have many EAP objects based on the one profile, but to change that profile you have to edit each object rather than just one profile

24 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Now, I have a few things on the lists that have been requested in the past, perhaps they all could do with a rethink and a re-proposal as a single larger improvement:

1) Users would like to be able to rehshape both the path an profile objects live and see the update as it happened. Currently you can see the object 3D geometry update when in the editing container, but you cant interact with other geometry in a reliable way.

2) (This thread and one before) Users would like to be able to use symbols as the geometry for both the path and profile objects.

3) Ability to control the origin (both end points and the centerpoint as selectable options similar to the setting of a Circles origin point in the OIP?) of an EAP during the creation rather than having it move and require relocation manually after creation.

4) The ability for the attributes of either the path or the profile (Most seem to prefer Profile) to be transferred to the EAP.

5) The ability to have an EAP also display a 2D view, similar to Auto-Hybrid's functionality but built into the same object and not requiring the user to bury each EAP in a separate AutoHybrid.

Thoughts or additions?

This is a good list. I would suggest the EAP could possibly be combined with a rework of the multiple extrude command to create a more versatile tool (think more like the C4D Sweep object). An EAP is essentially a Loft with One Rail too....

How about the ability to have different starting/ending profiles? Or perhaps multiple profiles at user selected points along a path? (At least with the first of these options you could split the path and make multiple EAPs with different start/ends.)

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Having it also serve as a Loft or Sweep makes good sense. Sweep objects, while configurable after creation, are created in a fairly strange way via a menu command only.

Allowing multiple profiles, not just two, would also allow for some intricate custom handrail, balluster and molding geometry as well... I'll get everything together for a full writeup, but more input is welcome.

One other suggestion is that if the 2d Symbol selected for the profile already has a 2d Locus present, then that 2d Locus would be automatically be selected as the EAP's origin point.

I am thinking of crown molding profiles which might not have any snappable geometry at their work point, but are always installed the same way [i.e. the intersection of wall and ceiling].

All good functionality, (wait for it . . .) But careful what we wish for.

EAP is currently very easy to use. The creation and edit dialogs are small with only a few choices. There are two longstanding wishes: affix the profile insertion point at creation, and symbols as profile.

If EAP is combined into a multi path,multi profile sweep/loft tool/command, it will end up with a deeply nested dialog and a multitude of options to choose or filter at creation, a massive OIP - similar to the door dialog, two pages of text in Help (where the names of features are listed in one column and "explained" by reprinting the name in the adjacent column), an EAP forum on this Community Board, etc - sorry, exaggerating.

I'm not saying don't implement all of Jim's list. I am saying the command can become way more functional without implementing that comprehensive list.

The multi profile sweep is well handled by the various NURBs loft tools. There are separate wishes for lofts to add history/parametric editing.

-B

All good functionality, (wait for it . . .) But careful what we wish for.

EAP is currently very easy to use. The creation and edit dialogs are small with only a few choices. There are two longstanding wishes: affix the profile insertion point at creation, and symbols as profile.

If EAP is combined into a multi path,multi profile sweep/loft tool/command, it will end up with a deeply nested dialog and a multitude of options to choose or filter at creation, a massive OIP - similar to the door dialog, two pages of text in Help (where the names of features are listed in one column and "explained" by reprinting the name in the adjacent column), an EAP forum on this Community Board, etc - sorry, exaggerating.

I'm not saying don't implement all of Jim's list. I am saying the command can become way more functional without implementing that comprehensive list.

The multi profile sweep is well handled by the various NURBs loft tools. There are separate wishes for lofts to add history/parametric editing.

-B

++++++++++++++++++++++1 !!!

There are two longstanding wishes: affix the profile insertion point at creation, and symbols as profile.

Don't get me wrong, these two items are by far the most important.

But over the long term a comprehensive tool with a simple (i.e.. not a lot of dialog stuff like traditional VW tools) interface is also needed, especially when paired with Marionette. The beauty of the C4D system is that the "tools" like the Sweep object are actually very versatile containers....

KM

There are two longstanding wishes: affix the profile insertion point at creation, and symbols as profile.

For me, these are the only two major things that need to be fixed in the EAP.

In general regarding all of the Tools (EAP included), if there is any way to simplify it, to reduce the number of required mouse-clicks and to minimize mouse travel distance, then I think the changes should be considered. Extra mouse clicks and travel distance take time, and time is money.

For example, the second step in every KnowledgeBase video on EAPs says to 'edit the profile and move the profile's origin point into the correct position'. That to me is an unnecessary extra step which should have been eliminated years ago.

My recommendation for future Vw development: "KISS"

In general regarding all of the Tools (EAP included), if there is any way to simplify it, to reduce the number of required mouse-clicks and to minimize mouse travel distance, then I think the changes should be considered. Extra mouse clicks and travel distance take time, and time is money.

+1

I also want to remove my mouse hand from the mouse as little as possible when modelling in 3d.

KM