Coplanar roofs in hidden line

Hey again,

I've had an issue with coplanar objects, namely roofs, appearing in hidden line view with a line between them. The line outlined in red in the attachment is unwanted as that roof kind of continues on down to cover the garage. I turned the smoothing angle up really high in the hopes that the line would go away.

No luck there though, and I come to realize that the roofs are probably not actually perfectly coplanar, although they have the same slope and I intend for them to be coplanar. It looks like one's slightly off of square.

Is there any setting of sensitivity that will let VW not "see" the very very very slight imperfections in my model? Or any other ideas?

Amelia

VW2015

Amelia,

They are two separate roofs, so imho there will always be a junction between them - hence the line.

I would think that the only way to hide the line is to draw a 3D polyline around the whole coplanar roof surface in the plane of the roof and either attach a roof finish to it (roof tiles?) or a simple shade.

Also if you have Renderworks, you can attach a render to the face of the roof and Renderworks should merge the two together (I think).

Regards,

Kevin.

Amelia,

I would think that the only way to hide the line is to draw a 3D polyline around the whole coplanar roof surface in the plane of the roof and either attach a roof finish to it (roof tiles?) or a simple shade.

Regards,

Kevin.

Similar to above but use the extract tool in the 3D toolset

Thanks Kizza and Kevin. It seems like, ignoring surface hatches, the hidden line mode can merge two roofs to show them as one plane. See attached. This is what I'm going for.

I think that unlike this practice file, my project file contains imperfect geometries, and that is my problem with the roofs. Let me know if that's incorrect.

Have you tried drawing the largest roof face on plan as a polygon and then AEC create roof face, do this for both and you simply drag the 2 roofs together in 3d.

Not at computer but am sure you can draw a roof all as one polygon and create roof and then switch the ens to gables, so both ends and section in centre. You should get the desired effect with no join.

HTH