dimension weirdness in spotlight

Hi all

I am making some dimensions for people using the dimension tool and I am having some problems. It could be me being a bit thick but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am putting dimensions on objects in a set.

As an example I have an 2440mm (8') x 1220mm (4') piece of decking on 45 deg angle to the set. Now I know the dimensions to this but I wish to mark this out. I am using the dimension tool in constrained linear mode (the 1st one!). I measure the line of 2440mm and the floating info box confirms this. As soon as I click finish, a totally different dimension appears. In this case 2440mm becomes 1725mm.

Now when i straighten the object up and re-do the dimension, the measurement is correct....!??!

I might not be using the correct dimension tool but I have tried the others and similar things happen.

I am probably being a bit thick but if any one could point out the probably very obvious mistake I am making, I would be grateful. I do not wish to send the wrong information out etc.....!

cheers

eamon

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Constrained Linear Dimension Tool will only give the distance between two points in ONLY one X or Y direction, for instance. The Unconstrained Linear Dimension Tool gives the straightline distance between two points, which you would need for things rotated out of square.

Aha!

So freaking obvious.

Many thanks for that. I think I am going blind. Just realised that I am so used to hitting the shortkey N for the dimension tool and completely missed this.....

Was not thinking straight.

Sorry for the double post.

thanks again.

eamon