Saved Views and Class visibilities

An annoying situation sometimes arises in my workflow with the "None" class when switching between Saved Views and Sheet Layers.

Suppose I'm working on a Saved View (or on a duplicated saved view) and I've turned off the None class for that saved view. When I switch back to my sheet layers, which contain viewports; unless the active class is the None class, the viewports have disappeared. Obviously, this is because the viewports are in the None class.

How do others manage this scenario? Am I missing something? Or is the solution simply to class the viewports in their own class e.g. Annotations>Viewports

As there seems to be no way to "exit" a saved view, I'm thinking that one possible solutuion could involve creating a "Dummy" Saved view which has a set of visibilities applied to it so that a "default" view can returned to.

Both of your ideas have merit.

Putting stuff in a class of than None may be a good idea. That way you know that anything that is in None really should exist somewhere else.

Putting Viewports, Crop objects, components inside symbols and group, 2D construction object for extrudes, sweeps, etc. into a class other than None MAY give you more flexibility in how you view things.

A saved view is really just a script that sets layer and class visibilities and the active layer, class and view. There is really not a way to Exit.

Creating either individual scripts to take you to each sheet layer and/or a generic "All On" view that has all of the classes visible, but does not change the layer or view is a good idea.

Thanks Pat.

Sometimes I'm a bit sloppy with the none class - it becomes a temporary dumping class.

Design Layers and Saved Views seems to be an awkward marriage at times.

Two improvements would tidy things up.

System Wide auto classing

Class visibility templates attachable to the design layer.

Rant over.

For me it works to put viewports in a class of their own (e.g. viewports) with the line attribute set to none if needed.

I avoid using the none class like the plague :-)

There is a wish list request to link class visibility etc. to design layers, not sure if you "me-too'd" it, if not it may help to give a "me too" reply to the request to increase the chance of this being implemented.

For me it works to put viewports in a class of their own (e.g. viewports) with the line attribute set to none if needed.

I avoid using the none class like the plague :-)

There is a wish list request to link class visibility etc. to design layers, not sure if you "me-too'd" it, if not it may help to give a "me too" reply to the request to increase the chance of this being implemented.

My 2¢ - None Class is always on … Top / Plan (Keyboard Shortcut "5") is what we use for a "default view".

We use Saved Views that ... only remember Class Settings, … are saved inside of a Symbol or Group Edit, … are temporary (Dummy Saved View), … jump to a desired view, without the current Class set up changing. …only change the RenderWorks settings for a quick rendered view.

Recent job that went to Hamburg, had almost 75 Saved Views - A portion of these were to show the client what they would see in the finished state and some were the "Same View" with limited Textures to highlight specifics for the crew that would do the assembly. - Peter

How do others manage this scenario? … there seems to be no way to "exit" a saved view, I'm thinking that one possible solutuion could involve creating a "Dummy" Saved view which has a set of visibilities applied to it so that a "default" view can returned to.

A saved view is just a collection of classes, layers etc. and their state (visible, grayed, invisible etc.) so you cannot "exit" this.

Your possible solution of a "dummy" saved view is probably your only option for returning to a default, or manually set the state of layers and classes etc.

I tend to use one or more saved views containing a "base configuration" depending on my needs.

AutoCAD has a layer states manager that is basically the same when it comes to on/off/invisible layers and there you cannot exit it either other than by having a default layer state defined or manually changing the state of layers.