Eave Residential Modeling

jcaia

Question

I used to primarily work inside Vectorworks for my projects back when 2D was the common drawing technique. My focus is residential new construction - community design.

Now that "live" modeling is nearly a must (BIM), i've had to move away from Vectorworks and into applications built more for residential design, since items like eave detailing can take a lot of time modeling those details by "hand".

I was curious if anyone has found a quick way to model eave conditions such as return roofs etc in Vectorworks?

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

This is nice, This is not going to help my aim to have staff at the office to change over from Sketchup to Vectorworks at the early stage of design.

I hope VW is reviewing their competition in order to be one step ahead because these simple things make it hard to get people to swap over when the competition has these great things.

In a residential office these sort of things make life so much easier to be able to show the Client a final design quickly.

I cant help but come to the conclusion that VW's feature development is restrained in order to prevent eating into sales of Archicad (or Archicad START). At least from an architectural point of view.

I don't know if that's the reason,

but yesterday I looked at the features and tools of that other App,

and it is just a completely different level of what I am familiar with

in VW.

I bet the Dev teams on each app are completely different, and Nemetschek wants healthy competition between the two - so it would surprise me if they were "holding" either back.

VW needs to spend more time and effort into some of its architectural tools. I dont fully understand why VW has so many toolsets for nearly all sorts of industries, when other apps are dominating those fields. They could probably help themselves by focusing down to only civil and architectural/landscape/structural.

Edited by jcaia

VW needs to spend more time and effort into some of its architectural tools.

That's my point.

ArchiCad is way ahead as an architectural tool, so kudos to their development team. No contest there.

Not sure how other industries are faring but the majority of big ticket architectural wishlist items that have been wished for multiple times by multiple users appear to have gone unheeded. Sure, there has been issues with 64 bit and implementation of VGM, but to put things in a bit of economic perspective - the software I trained on in 2008 had "Live Sections" and multiple model views even back then (2 often wished for VW improvements).

Too many excuses and not enough meat and potatoes.

And I would much prefer VW to become more architecturally proficient than to switch...

Edited by Kizza
They could probably help themselves by focusing down to only civil and architectural/landscape/structural.

Doing what you suggest leaves out Entertainment Designers which represent a large portion of Vw's user base.

I dont know what % we're talking about, but I bet VW is still mainly used for architecture. There are so many mech eng tools in the app it makes little sense for them to have spent the time on that when their AEC tools need attention.