Smoothing angle and layer links

Smoothing angle setting to reduce the number of facets or extraneous lines when rendering, for example, a column in elevation, does not appear to work with objects via a layer link. I can get the correct results with a column that is a member of the layer, but the same column via a layer link has all of its lines when rendered. Is this a known bug?

By the way, I notice that my windows and doors no longer have 45 degree lines at the corners of sash and trim when rendered in elevation. Bravo!! We are inching our way to automatically updated elevation drawings . . .

VWA 10.1

WinXP

[ 03-11-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

How are you creating the column?

Symbol, tool or command in the AEC menu?

Also, I can't duplicate the problem with a column not rendering in hidden line in a layer link.

I just created 3 different types of columns, linked the three layers together on a new layer -- and all of them render in hidden line correctly.

Is there a specific step I am missing?

[ 03-11-2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,

After making my original post I did the same test you did, and came up with the same results that you did. Two columns, one in the layer and the other via link, both converted to lines properly.

There is something else strange going on in the file I'm working on. In my layer, I can put in a column and it renders without unnecessary lines, where the columns in the layer link render with lots of unnecessary lines. The layer link, by the way, is a link to a model layer containing multiple links. (I tested the "second generation link" theory, too, and it also rendered a single column correctly). Maybe the problem has to do with the number of objects to be rendered, maybe some other odd circumstance. I can email you the file if you want, but be forwarned that it's around 6MB.

BTW, I didn't make it totally clear, but I am using the "Convert copy to lines (hidden rendering)" command.

[ 03-11-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]