The ability to have multi-core walls

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

Now we can set one component as the core one, but when you have a wall between two houses, you want two cores, so that the flooring can go to the out side of the first core. Now I have to cut of the floor slab of one of the floors, it's annoying...

Oh, this one has been asked before, but why not have something like priority based connections ArchiCAD has? Then I don't have to add any more rectangles where I have doors to let the floor go through it....

5 answers to this question

I don't do buildings much, but would a work around be to make a new wall style that was effectively 1/2 of the separating wall and then put two of them back to back? If this is really a wall between houses, there should not be to much of a problem with doors and windows not being able to cut the double wall. Just put the desired core component on one edge of the style and when you run then back to back you should get what you need without having to cut the slabs.

@Pat: I tried that once, had more problems with the connections then, because when the front elevation walls aren't at the same line, you got the wall between house on a T-shape with the outer walls. Splitting it into two walls results in the inability of making that connection, as VW thinks a connection between 4 walls can't be done in real life....

If only we could do the outer walls with 2 and still have windows and doors substracted for the two, we could do this and a lot more like creating reusable floor plans if you have to draw 50x the same interior, but with different windows and outer walls.....

One other thing with the ability of a multi-core wall is a more flexible way to draw/place a wall in plan as we can currently choose the position of the wall or core. But I have had a few situations where using a different component in a wall as a core would make placement easier rather than having to shift the wall after to it's desired position.