Default lighting label legend???

Condensed: How can I restored my lighting legend to a "Standard" lighting legend.

Lengthy: I'm working on a light plot and when I go to create a basic label legend, I select Dimmer and Channel, but when I try to choose a container I can only get a rectangle or a triangle. I chose an Altman instrument and somehow I pulled up an option for "Standard" label legend. When I saw this I deleted my created "Basic" legend. Somehow I lost the good legend...not a clue, but I know me and this is right up my alley. When I go back to create a new legend I get the same two containers. I tried to update the container file from the original Vectorworks library for containers and I couldn't figure out how to do that. I could not save the correct file as "containers" because that file already existed, so I saved it as "container 1." Things just got messier after that. Thanks much for any direction you can give me.

Make sure the container you wish is actually in the container folder. If not, you can create one and save it in that folder. You can also duplicate,rename and edit an existing container as a new one.

Steve

Edited by sross

Update: In the file that I screwed I had somehow moved the circle and hexagon symbols out of the container folder and into the top level "Symbols/Plug-In Objects." By right clicking on each symbol I was able to select and the "categories" folder was on a list I could move to. After moving them into the categories folder they were now an option under container type in the Sptotlight/label legend/edit fields drop down menu.

Probably under creating and or editing label legends.

I am guessing that your symbol folder has only the rectangle and triangle available. Locate this container folder in the resource browser of the drawing that you are working on and add more symbols. To duplicate and edit in the container folder, for example, select the container/right click and select duplicate, then rename and re edit your symbol. You can also create a new symbol in your drawing then save it into your container folder when the destination folder window comes up after you name the new symbol. Once you have your container folder the way you like it, it can be imported to any drawing. Or your new container symbols can be imported to an existing container folder of any drawing file. If you are still having problems and you want to have a more personal info, send me a contact number and I will reach you.

Steve Ross

Lighting Designer

Anthony,

Importing a label legend from one file to another is just like importing any other symbol.

1) Be active in the file that you want to bring resources into.

2) in the Resource Browser select the file that you want to pull resources from.

3a) Double click on the symbol and then drop it into your document like you would any other symbol. This will import the symbol in and place it in the Top Menu of the resource browser.

OR

3b) In the resource browser, select the symbol(s) that you want to import and right-click. Select "Import" from the drop down menu. A dialog box will appear asking you where you want to put the newly imported symbols.

If you keep "Preserve Folder Hierarchy" then the symbol will be put into the same folder as it is in the original document. This is useful if you're pulling stuff from you old files are template files - anything where your organization is the same.

If you choose "Select Destination Folder" then you can do just that - put it in any existing folder, or create a new one.

Anthony,

Importing a label legend from one file to another is just like importing any other symbol.

1) Be active in the file that you want to bring resources into.

2) in the Resource Browser select the file that you want to pull resources from.

3a) Double click on the symbol and then drop it into your document like you would any other symbol. This will import the symbol in and place it in the Top Menu of the resource browser.

OR

3b) In the resource browser, select the symbol(s) that you want to import and right-click. Select "Import" from the drop down menu. A dialog box will appear asking you where you want to put the newly imported symbols.

If you keep "Preserve Folder Hierarchy" then the symbol will be put into the same folder as it is in the original document. This is useful if you're pulling stuff from you old files are template files - anything where your organization is the same.

If you choose "Select Destination Folder" then you can do just that - put it in any existing folder, or create a new one.