Having Issue With Classes in Sheet Layer

O.k., I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I know I'm missing something simple and it's been an hour and a half and I have to have this plot done today, so I figured I'd get some help before I go insane.

So this is the problem. I have my plot finished, my instrument key is on a Class Called "Title Block." The instrument key is created directly on the Sheet Layer with my final plot. Every time I go back to a saved view that does not have the the Class called "Title Block" visible and go back to my final plot sheet layer I have to keep re-enabling the Class titled "Title Block." Where am I going wrong? I even have a view port with a "Typical" instrument layout that is on that same Class (called "Title Bock") and that doesn't show up either unless I go back and re-enable the visibility for that Class.

So the Sheet Layer is turning off the visibility for my Class called "Title Block." How do I tell the Sheet Layer that this Class is supposed to be visible (in that Sheet Layer, but not the other views).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Saved Views can maintain class visibilities.

You can turn this off be editing the saved views that are doing it in Tools > Organization > Saved Views, uncheck the class visibilities and it wont alter them any more.

You can also disable keeping class visibilities during the creation of saved views. Any class you make AFTER a saved view or viewport was created will have to be enabled in that saved view or viewport in order to be shown.

Also: You don't control classes via Sheet Layers, only in the Design Layer (via organization or navigation palettes) and on Viewports that reside on Sheet Layers via the viewport's "Classes" button.

To reiterate Jim's comments, what you describe is expected behavior.

Viewports maintain layer and class visibilities independently from document settings. Sheet layer objects respond to document visibility settings, just like design layer objects.

Either edit your saved views to show or ignore the "Title Block" class or assign your key to another class that is always visible.

-Josh

Hi Jim,

I forgot to mention that I am using VW2015 with SP4. That being said, I don't see the option you are talking about. I understand that Sheet Layers can't control class visibility, but something is telling the Sheet Layer to that when every I come back from a saved view with that class off, it should stay off in the Sheet Layer view. Does this make sense? I know that my explanation doesn't sound that clear, but that's the best I think I can do.

I've attached a screen shot of the Organization window to kind of explain (better I hope) what I'm talking about. In the saved view titled "Plot View - W/set," I don't want the Class titled "Title Block" on (which it's not). Whenever I go back to the my "Plot View - W/set" saved view and then go back to any of my Sheet Layers from this saved view, the "Title Block" class is turned off again.

Does this make sense what what I'm saying?

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, this often happens when you're using a Saved View to navigate back to the sheet layer, in which case you'll need to edit the classes in the saved view edit dialog.

This can also happen if you have a saved view that isnt keeping class visibilities and are switching to one that is, or the opposite.

Thanks Jim and Josh,

I guess it makes a little more sense now ... especially Josh's suggestion that I should just keep my title block on a class that's always visible. Truth be told, there's no reason for that class to not always be visible since the only content is actually created directly on the sheet layer.

Thanks guys

Maybe this has already been made clear, but there are four main ways to change the visibility of classes.

1. Manually change them using the Navigation Palette or Organization Palette.

2. Create a Viewport and change them inside the viewport. This will only effect the visibility (and possibly attributes) for that viewport.

3. Write a script to set visibilities.

4. Use a Saved View (which is basically just a script to set visibilities.

So if you use a Savied View, and then change layers manually, the class (and layer) visibilities will still be the same as after you used the Saved View.

If you are going to use Saved Views, you should probably create one that will turn on the visibility of ALL the classes.

I see three options for your current problem.

1. Continue to manually turn the class back on now that you know why it is turning off.

2. Change the class of the objects to one that is always on.

3. Make another Saved View that has the correct layers on for the sheet layer and use that to move to the sheet layer.

If you edit your 'Title Block' class and click on the 'Saved Views' button at the bottom of the dialogue box, you can set the Visibility options for that Class in all Saved Views. It's the easiest way to make sure that your 'Title Block' class will always be on after switching between Saved Views.

HTH.

In honor of Comicon, you guys are all Super Heroes!!! Thank you so much for the swift responses. It’s funny, even though I know how Sheet Layers and Design Layers are supposed to work, I’ve never had this issue before because until VW2015 everything on my Design Layer were View Ports. With VW2015, the Instrument Schedule tool was so good that I haven’t found the need to make many changes to my instrument schedules and thus don’t have them on a separate View Port … so this caught me off guard and frustrated the heck out of me! So thanks guys.

Pat, I had started doing #2 after Josh’s suggestion, but I like your #3 a lot as well!!! Thanks.

Thank you ALL for your help!

Maybe this has already been made clear, but there are four main ways to change the visibility of classes.

1. Manually change them using the Navigation Palette or Organization Palette.

2. Create a Viewport and change them inside the viewport. This will only effect the visibility (and possibly attributes) for that viewport.

3. Write a script to set visibilities.

4. Use a Saved View (which is basically just a script to set visibilities.

So if you use a Savied View, and then change layers manually, the class (and layer) visibilities will still be the same as after you used the Saved View.

If you are going to use Saved Views, you should probably create one that will turn on the visibility of ALL the classes.

I see three options for your current problem.

1. Continue to manually turn the class back on now that you know why it is turning off.

2. Change the class of the objects to one that is always on.

3. Make another Saved View that has the correct layers on for the sheet layer and use that to move to the sheet layer.

• 3 months later...

This thread is pretty terrific. I have a class visibility related issue and this group seems like the right place to try and get it resolved.

For some reason, my demo classes are acting inconsistent. I have multiple doors and walls in a plan, and though they're in the same class, they're not all exhibiting the same line color and weight attributes in the viewport.

That is to say , in the SL viewport, I have changed all of the demo classes to dashed lines. In the design layer all of these doors and windows are in the right demo classes, but in the VP only some of them exhibit dashed lines.

Any reason why this would be?

Are the wall styles the same? i.e. could it be that in some objects the components are not by class and in some they are not?

At the moment I'm inclined to think that the classes of the object components (assuming they have classes of their own) have different settings between different objects and therefore behave differently.

It is one of the reasons why I would like to have a class and auto-class override for all the subcomponents of symbols and other objects.

I agree, an auto class override would be superb.

I just found the problem. Though the component difference between the walls is the thickness, one wall thickness was set to pen/fill by class and the other had a specified line color.

I realize this is rudimentary problem that I should have caught earlier but I don't think I would have gotten there without everyone's help so thanks a bunch.