Workgroup Referances Moving

We have just started using ?Workgroup References? in our office. Occasionally, the referenced layers will seemingly randomly reposition themselves, causing a good deal of work to get all of the layers to align again.

I can not figure out what we might be doing to cause this behavior. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? The Workgroup Reference feature seems to work quite well, if we can only solve this problem.

Hi,

I don't know what version or system you are using but I saw this problem in version 8.5.2, on MAC's, and at the time VW's folks said that it was to be fixed in VW10. The problem that we noticed was two fold. One was when the refferenced file was moved into new folders, so the solution was to establish where a set of drawing "lives", then don't move the location of the file. The second problem was using the "move page" tool. Using this tool seemed to mess the drawing totally. Our fix was to set the drawing and not to use the "move page" tool. So did the fix happen in VW10 ?

Thanks for the replys.

We are using Mac OS 10.2.4 and Vectorworks 10.1.

I have been occasonally transfering one of the files to a laptop to take home work, and then overwriting the old file with the revised version on our office network.

We have not used the "move Page Tool" and we have not moved the drawings on the original file.

Have you used the set origin tool either on purpose or by accident?

When workgroup referenced files are brought into a master file, the objects are placed in the master file based on the coordinates they have but around the 0,0 of the master file.

So, if the target file has the origin in a different place than the master file, then each time the origin tool is used in the target file - the references will move in the master.

Otherwise, is there anything you are doing in these files to move objects such as changing the layer z/delta z values, or moving the objects ?

quote:

Originally posted by CEA:

Thanks for the replys.

We are using Mac OS 10.2.4 and Vectorworks 10.1.

We have not used the "move Page Tool" and we have not moved the drawings on the original file.

Are you moving the referenced drawings in the target , if you are, this is your problem.

You cannot directly move a WGR, you have to create a layer link from the WGR layer into a new layer and move the link, not the WGR.

Good Luck

Katie:

I think I may have reset the origin in the "target file". I should have realized that this would cause problems.

Can I copy one or all of the files from our server to a laptop, work on the file and then overwrite the old file on the server with the newer file on the laptop, or will this somehow foul up the workgroup references?